• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double die or double strike?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Came across this through all of my coins I've been going through figured I'd get somebody's opinion in those little bit more than me I was reading up about double strike wasn't quite sure

20240228_164835.jpg

By "double strike" I am assuming that you actually mean "strike doubling" AKA mechanical doubling.    If so then yes your coin shows what is considered strike doubling not true hub doubling.

Please post cropped photos of each full side of this and any other coin about which you have a question. Frequently, it is impossible to render an informed opinion based on close-ups alone. ("You can't see the forest for the trees.")

Based on the single, overly bright photo, this coin does not appear to be either a doubledie (a die variety created by doubled elements in the die itself) or a double strike (a mint error caused by the particular coin being struck twice). These are unrelated phenomena that generally do not resemble each other, and a double strike, like most mint errors, should be noticeable without any magnification. Your coin may not even have strike doubling or other forms of "worthless" doubling. The words "E PLURIBUS UNUM" on a 2010 to date Union Shield reverse cent are incuse (sunken instead of raised), and normal pieces may appear to have extra images around the edges due to the brightness or angle of the lighting in which they are imaged.  

Respectfully, you seem to be focused on advanced topics such as die varieties and mint errors. Do you have a firm grasp of more basic concepts such as the types and history of U.S coins, their grading, basic authentication, and the compositions of various coins and how coins are made?  Without this basic knowledge, it may be very difficult for you to recognize or understand die varieties and mint errors. I think that you were referred to the "Basic Glossary and Resources" topic pinned at the beginning of this forum in a previous topic.  You may also benefit from the resources identified in the following topic:

If you must focus on mint errors and die varieties, please see error-ref.com for mint errors and, for example, doubleddie.com and varietyvista.com for die varieties, the most prominent of which are listed on NGC VarietyPlus, United States Categories | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).  

On 2/28/2024 at 3:51 PM, Emmure said:

I was reading up about double strike

I have a question for the OP. What were you reading? What was it that described "double strike"? Or, is that just how you remember it?

I am asking because there are many different things in this hobby where "double" comes into play. There are coins that ARE double struck. There are doubled die strikes. There is strike doubling. Each produces its own different image on the struck coin, so I am just asking what exactly you were referring to in the posted photo.