• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crown 5 shilling 1890 coin real or fake?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I would say it is NOT real. The finish is suspect and the reverse  is completely incorrect. The reverse of an 1890 Victoria jubilee head shilling should have the coat of arms on the reverse. I have both an 1877 Silver Florin and an 1877 one shilling and both have the coat of arms. The coin has a value (if real) at about $15.

IMG_8345.jpeg

IMG_8341.jpeg

IMG_8342.jpeg

IMG_8343.jpeg

IMG_8344.jpeg

After further review... I do think your coin is legitimate. It Is a Victoria Jubilee Head CROWN not five shillings, and is currently found on Ebay for about $60. I apologize, for the mis-statement as I was on the trail of shillings and Florins. 

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l960.jpg

On 2/28/2024 at 2:35 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

After further review... I do think your coin is legitimate. It Is a Victoria Jubilee Head CROWN not five shillings, and is currently found on Ebay for about $60. I apologize, for the mis-statement as I was on the trail of shillings and Florins. 

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l960.jpg

Corectamundo.

On 2/28/2024 at 1:35 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l960.jpg

But a crown IS five shillings!

On 2/29/2024 at 8:00 AM, VKurtB said:

But a crown IS five shillings!

LOL, those fishy brits with their crowns, pennies, florins, shillings, farthings, and pounds.  Why can't they just use sense?

On 2/29/2024 at 1:31 PM, cobymordet said:

LOL, those fishy brits with their crowns, pennies, florins, shillings, farthings, and pounds.  Why can't they just use sense?

12 pence to the shilling, 20 shillings to the pound. 

[I tell you, when I read it was not real, I said, what a shame, the dentil-work was so meticulously executed. I was appalled.

When the verdict was reversed, I was enthralled!]

Man I love this place!  🤣