• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1776 Continental Currency Coin Real or Replica
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Found 2 while cleaning out my parents house. They both have paper on the back like they were glued to paper at some point. Each weighs 15g. Thoughts? Thank you! 

34479F27-3BFD-4006-AD2F-AC7687891F46.jpeg

938F44F6-2F18-49EF-B8D7-6416AF5EE967.jpeg

F32A0E1C-5CC8-4826-92D4-9DAF229E1C86.jpeg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The rough surfaces and ill-defined details clearly identify these pieces as replicas of the sort sold by the thousands at venues such as souvenir shops over the decades. The rare genuine Continental "Dollars" look like the one shown here: 1776 PEWTER 'CURENCY' CONTINEN | Coin Explorer | NGC (ngccoin.com).

If you believe that a coin has collector value, you should not touch it with your bare hands except by its edge if you must.

Edited by Sandon

I think Sandon is correct, The glue and paper on the reverse are a sure indication that it had been glued to a cardboard of sort as a demonstration coin. 

I quickly noted the color and also the rough appearance on the obverses. These are fakes most likely made of some kind of cast metal. The little metal bumps left on the surface of the coins are from the removal from the cast. The dark color is also commensurate with some type of cheap alloy mix for the casting of them.