• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1878 p 8tf. What VAM do you think it may be
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I collect VAM's and I usually spend quite a long time researching. But this one is stumping me. 

Under the eye lid there is a spike.

And protruding from the right bottom side of the 8 there seems to be a spike as well. 

Thank you everyone.

Screenshot_20240227_202737_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_202804_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_202752_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_202746_eBay.jpg

Edited by xinfantry

I don't see any collectable VAM on your coin. If there's no NGC VAM designation that matches it doesn't matter, they won't recognize it anyway. Only collectable well known VAMs bring premiums nowadays. The obscure and insignificant are not sought after. 

Some people collect Morgan VAMs which I believe ANACS will attribute even if they are not the popular or more valuable ones the two big boys will attribute.  Has that coin been slabbed by a TPG?

I assume you know of VAM World which is where I would go to look into this Morgan VAM.  They have a very detailed guide on attributing the 1878 (P) Morgan at the link below, since there are quite a lot of them for that issue.  Also, I find first identifying the date location and then the mint mark location and tilt is a good starting point.

http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com/wiki/1878-P_VAMs

Edited by EagleRJO

I was unable to match this to any VAM in my VAM book. The only one I found for eye spikes is VAM 14.11, but I think that one has multiple eye spikes. I couldn't find a suitable photo of it.

Maybe you will find it on VAM World as @EagleRJO suggested.