• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is that a perfect example of a ddo?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

No, from what I can see from your photo, it is not an example of a DDO (doubled die obverse) at all. This is what a coin struck from a doubled die obverse looks like, this being an example of the 1972 doubled die cent (FS-101) listed in the "Redbook" and PCGS graded MS 66 RD:

1972DDcentobv..thumb.jpg.ab95784d5d4e31cae012dccad8b9e60c.jpg

1972DDcentrev..thumb.jpg.a32a8e79f25d41eabe5965bf8f5dcec2.jpg

Note the crisp, clear doubling on all of the obverse letters and numbers, with both images at about the same level and "notching" at the junctures of the images. Where do you see such images on the 1994-P quarter you posted?

RE: "Is that a perfect example of a ddo?"

Is that a spelling error for "poopo" ?

According to unwritten Chat Board Guidelines, members are asked to be "kinder and gentler" with Newbies, identifiable by the waving Hand next to their user names.  I am sorry some of us, myself included, are abrupt with our fellow members.  After you've fielded only three such queries a day -- over a thousand a year at a minimum, you tend to become jaded and impatient. It happens.

You've been a member now for six weeks.  I assume you have acquired a Red Book and read the introductory threads which give you the tools you will need to navigate this website productively.

I do not know what led you to believe you may have a Doubled-Die Obverse but I do not doubt you see something, by whatever numismatic term known.  The best thing to do is familiarize yourself with its different manifestations as best you can, THEN jump onto the forum with closely cropped photos adequately lit and magnified to illustrate the area you wish to bring to our attention.

As you probably know, true doubling is not common. The two more famous examples in the Lincoln Head cent series are the 1955, which needs no explanation, and the 1972 which a member helpfully posted above.

I encourage you to keep looking, explore all available resources and do not be afraid to ask questions -- particularly regarding submissions for formal certification.  That's what these forums are for. (thumbsu