• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1878 S VAM-95 Morgan Dollar question
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if there is any value to a morgan I am wanting to purchase. It's an 1878 S MS62 ANACS VAM-95.

I can't find any sold listings or for sale listings anywhere.

Thank you everyone.Screenshot_20240227_122618_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1e26b05814aaa45ea1a3de6ae815205b.jpg

Hello!

While ANACS might attribute this particular VAM, it seems to not be recognized by either NGC nor PCGS. That being said, it may be too minor of a variety or just not of much interest even to VAM collectors.

If I were buying this particular coin because I wanted it, I would pay no more than the current price guide value for a non VAM 1878 S which NGC currently has listed as $85 for an MS 62, so in reality, I would pay no more than $75 for it, and possibly less if it does not have good eye appeal. If the seller is asking a large premium, it may just be because of the label on the ANACS slab, but remember whatever the slab says, the market may dictate otherwise. If you pay extra for a largely unrecognized VAM, which may have little interest to collectors when you go to sell it, it would be on you.

You will not be able to cross over this coin to an NGC or PCGS slab as they will grade it without the VAM number or description as they do not recognize that particular VAM number, so that coin is basically stuck in that ANACS slab.

Unless you are a devoted, advanced collector of Morgan dollars by VAM (Van Allen & Mallis) die varieties, including the more obscure ones, I don't know why you are "wanting to purchase" this coin, especially if the seller is asking for a premium over a normal price for an 1878-S dollar graded MS 62.  The "VAM World" website lists known varieties for 1878-S Morgan dollars numbered from 1 to 134, with some die state variants given additional designations, and a few dubious numbered varieties having been delisted. See http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/1878-S_VAMs

Although ANACS has distinguished itself by attributing all VAMs, other services, such as NGC, generally only attribute the more popular VAMs, primarily those designated the "Top 100", the "Hot 50", and the "Hit List 40".  See Morgan Dollars (1878-1921) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com) for the list of Morgan dollar varieties attributable by NGC, which does not include the 1878-S VAM 95. The reason that you are having difficulty finding sales records or price listings for this variety is that because of its obscurity, there aren't many recorded sales.  It would be difficult to determine just what if any premium a collector of the more obscure VAMs would be willing to pay for this variety in this grade. Some collectors "cherrypick" such varieties from unattributed or uncertified coins without paying a premium.

As a Morgan collector I agree that there really wouldn't be any premium for an 1878-S $1 VAM-95, which is not a popular VAM that just has some minor doubling of a few letters and a die chip, and is not on any of the top Morgan collectors lists (e.g. Top 100 Morgan VAMs).  I would use the quoted pricing by PM for a typical MS-62 1878-S Morgan discounted slightly for the ANACS holder which yields a lower premium compared to the two big boys NGC and PCG$.