• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1889 Indian Head Penny
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I have an 1889 Indian Head penny, and when I was looking at it, I noticed something between the last 8 and the 9 of the date. There seems to be some sort of "dot" in the middle of those two numbers, but I have not seen it mentioned anywhere before. I have looked at other pictures and haven't seen one in those pictures, but I could be mistaken. Can anyone tell me what this "dot" could be, and what the value of this coin could possibly be?

IMG_591.JPG

IMG_592.JPG

IMG_593.JPG

IMG_594.JPG

IMG_595.JPG

Unfortunately, this 1889 Indian cent is well-worn ("Good" details) and corroded, so it really isn't possible to tell whether the tiny dot was imparted by the die when the coin was struck or is the result of subsequent damage or alteration. It could be just a bit of foreign matter.  Someone would have to find an example in much higher grade to identify it as a die variety. No such variety for this date is listed in guides to significant varieties, for example NGC VarietyPlus, Indian Cents (1859-1909) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).

At first, since I noticed @Sandon's check into this and went to VarietyPlus, I noticed there was a variety for a die clash for this year. I began to think if it were to be possible for that to possibly be a clash of a berry from the wreath on the reverse, but I went to maddieclashes and discovered this would not be the case as evidenced by the photo below I found on their website. I am not sure either what the dot could be. You could maybe post this on the CONECA forum and inquire there if anyone may possibly have some information about it.

IHC_ClashedOVERLAYmd.jpg

The shield on the reverse would be in the date so I don't know how the dot got on your cent. Usually we would blame something like that on a die chip, but I have never seen a round die chip. I am not sure, however, if it would add any premium if any premium at all to your cent and would lean toward the latter.

Blast from the Past!

Q.A.  Alright, what've we got here?... a 135-year old coin in rather atrocious condition... a Grand Canyon under the ear, a .45 slug to the ear, denticles all shot, ruffled headdress feathers... and what was it you wished to direct my attention to again?

🐓  :  A dot.

Q.A.:  A dot.  I don't see any such thing anywhere on the obverse, but interestingly, the field encompassing ONE CENT, and more particularly, its NE quadrant, is riddled with such deposits. My discerning eye detects nine.  Quite frankly, your one invisible dot on the obverse cannot trump my nine clearly visible such dots on the reverse. Their value, in view of the extensive PMD (corrosion, erosion, wear and tear) I leave to the experts lurking about.

On 2/27/2024 at 12:00 AM, LisaH said:

I noticed something between the last 8 and the 9 of the date.

Yes. That is a squirrel running down the trunk of an oak tree to harvest acorns. The upper portion is his/her/its bushy tail and the rest are its body and head pointing downward.

:)

Edited by RWB

I think I see the "dot" you and Sandon are referring to between the "8" and the "9" identified on the attached.  It appears to just be either a discolored area on the coin which just happened to take that shape or possibly a circular indentation from something which ended up on the die.  In any event it's not some type of error or a variety that may add value, particularly with the very worn condition, so I don't think the actual cause really matters.

1889 Cent Forum.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO