• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Care to guess the grade: 1907 Barber Dime

39 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2024 at 9:31 AM, RWB said:

The cheek has "rub" making the coin AU.

Tilting and turning a coin to show all of its surface is a standard grading technique. That the wear is clearly visible (and photographable) at any angle proves the coin is NOT Uncirculated. (If there were real standards, grading this "MS-64" and selling it as such would be fraud. But with no standards it's just an expensive, false opinion.)

:)

...subjective opinion not shared by many, arbitrarily determined by committee of 1...proponent should first get a generally accepted definition of what is considered Uncirculated before unilaterally foisting it upon others as being ordained...but follows his normal pattern of self assumption....

My first thought was a beautiful AU58, but once again I let others sway my guess. I only missed it by 6 grades. Not getting any better, but not getting any worse. LOL.. I am the perfect example of why grading companies are needed when buying and selling coins. At least I was closer than Goldfinger, that's a start. (just kidding pal).  

On 2/26/2024 at 11:06 AM, zadok said:

...proponent should first get a generally accepted definition of what is considered Uncirculated ...

I think you just made his point. There no longer is a generally accepted definition of what is considered Uncirculated.

On 2/26/2024 at 1:09 PM, Just Bob said:

I think you just made his point. There no longer is a generally accepted definition of what is considered Uncirculated.

...trust me he doesnt have a point just, just opinions....

On 2/26/2024 at 6:48 AM, leeg said:

EyeAppealingCoinsBarberDimeSlabObv.thumb.png.ee5371125e479cba71a01a37faa51a40.png

1. If I may, I should like to ask you a few questions (with your indulgence and at Moderation's discretion): 
  2.  Did you acquire this coin raw or already slabbed?  
  3.  If raw, what was its primary selling point to you?
  4.  Was any representation made to you, adjectivally or otherwise, as to its grade? 
  5.  Rhetorical:   If "ungraded," what was your thought as to how well it would fare after having undergone certification?  Thank you.

On 2/26/2024 at 1:09 PM, Just Bob said:

Presently, as noted by an illustrious member of this Forum, the term Brilliant Uncirculated, or BU, is touted by one major TPGS as fully embracing the full gamut of Mint State grades from 60 through 70.  Left unsaid is where, precisely, this leaves Uncirculated. The next grade down is AU-58.  (AU-59, by mutual assent denotes the Line of Partition or demilitarized zone, DMZ.)

To me, there are Uncirculated coins.  All else are circulated, and Proofs (whether found in OGH or in change). 

On 2/26/2024 at 8:28 AM, Sandon said:

Those who responded gave a range of grades from AU 58 to MS 66

On 2/25/2024 at 3:54 PM, powermad5000 said:

Since you asked, I'll throw my vote in the hat.

AU 55.

I knew this grade would be low. It took me more tries than I care to admit to get a Barber dime to come back graded in MS. This one details wise (not toning wise) looked just like my other "failures" to get one returned in the slab with the MS. This is a tough series to get a good grade on let alone a high grade. I also have a feeling chasing after one of these that it almost seems graders let more marks go when it comes to big silver dollars than when it comes to small dimes, possibly due to the larger surface area.

I noted on the OP's coin there was a lack of detail in the hair near the LIBERTY band (first place to show wear on coins in this series), and the band itself was not totally crisp. I also noted the leaves at the bottom on the reverse had a level of light wear, and the kernels of corn in the ear were not full as they showed a light level of wear. 

On 2/25/2024 at 4:36 PM, VKurtB said:

I think anyone under 60 is kidding themselves.

I kindly ask to get the respect for my proposed grade.

On 2/26/2024 at 10:49 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Sandon, how can you tell that the Barber -- or any coin for that matter -- has FULL luster ?

It's quite difficult to explain this without having you look at actual coins, but I'll try.

A coin that has light "rub" from brief circulation or mishandling will show dullness instead of mint frost on the highest points of the design. This dullness may be quite hard to see when the coin is viewed "straight on" with light directly overhead. Such coins should be graded Choice AU (55-58), although they (especially pre-1837 U.S. coins) sometimes receive lower mint state grades from grading services. Coins that have never been in circulation but have been abraded by coin-to-coin contact in rolls or bags will also suffer a loss of luster on the highest points but should be shiny in those areas, not dull.  Those coins should receive uncirculated grades, though obviously affected by the abrasions, although they do not have "full luster".  

Here is a Stacks Bowers photo of the reverse of a 1928 Peace dollar that NGC (accurately, in my opinion) graded AU 58.  Note the slight dullness at the tips of some of the eagle's wing and tail feathers, which would be more obvious if I were able to show the coin at an angle:

1928silverdollarrev..jpg.330f3e2fc01ecd3675b75ddec1fc0b1e.jpg

On 2/26/2024 at 10:28 PM, Sandon said:

It's quite difficult to explain this without having you look at actual coins, but I'll try.

A coin that has light "rub" from brief circulation or mishandling will show dullness instead of mint frost on the highest points of the design. This dullness may be quite hard to see when the coin is viewed "straight on" with light directly overhead. Such coins should be graded Choice AU (55-58), although they (especially pre-1837 U.S. coins) sometimes receive lower mint state grades from grading services. Coins that have never been in circulation but have been abraded by coin-to-coin contact in rolls or bags will also suffer a loss of luster on the highest points but should be shiny in those areas, not dull.  Those coins should receive uncirculated grades, though obviously affected by the abrasions, although they do not have "full luster".  

Here is a Stacks Bowers photo of the reverse of a 1928 Peace dollar that NGC (accurately, in my opinion) graded AU 58.  Note the slight dullness at the tips of some of the eagle's wing and tail feathers, which would be more obvious if I were able to show the coin at an angle:

1928silverdollarrev..jpg.330f3e2fc01ecd3675b75ddec1fc0b1e.jpg

...now u r going to have to define "mint frost"...but nicely done....