• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 S DDO Lincoln Memorial Cent Photos
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Easy on the new guy, though I had it coming when i said I had the real deal x 2... Here are the pics of my 1969 s ddo pennies. Now I'm thinking I might have this really wrong, I hope not... I'm not fond of constructive criticism but find it necessary an helpful when starting something new. I thank those who's feed back yesterday was actually constructive criticism  but not so much to those who's motive was something. I do need the hard facts if I want to be successful in the coming years with collecting, buying an selling coins. Sincerely

20240225_022517.jpg

20240225_022616.jpg

Well, they certainly aren't the major one for 1969 S. There is a more minor DDO variety but the pictures aren't close up or clear enough to tell.  Where do you see the doubling?

I see is doubling in the eye, tip if the nose, chin, bow tie, ear, the hair above the forehead, the date, the LBR in liberty an God & trust. I probably have it wrong but I'm certain I think about the doubling on Lincoln 

That coin is not a match with the rare 1969-S 1C DDO FS-101 variety.  You can see some better images to verify that for yourself at Variety Vista or the NGC Variety Plus link Sandon previously provided ...

http://www.varietyvista.com/09d WQ Vol 4 DC/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/DDO 1969-S.htm

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/cents/lincoln-cents-memorial-reverse-1959-2008/815704/

Better cropped photos of each side would be needed to see anything beyond that.  But it's at best a minor variety without any real added value that NGC will not attribute, and likely worthless machine doubling.

Errors-DoubledDieGraphic.jpg

Even though the photos are not cropped as we requested (meaning that they show only the coin and not the surface on which it sits) and are turned sideways, it is clear that your coins were not struck from the obverse die that produced the extremely rare FS-101 doubled die variety and do not appear to be doubled die coins at all. (It would have been preferable for future readers trying to learn about this subject if you had just posted the photos on your original topic and allowed that thread to continue.)

Here is the photo of the obverse of a genuine example of this variety from NGC VarietyPlus:

1c%201969S%20DDO%20obv-815704-1581021420.jpg

Note the crisp, clear doubling on the lettering and the date, with both images at about the same level, with "notching" between the images, quite unlike strike doubling (shallow, step-like secondary images) or die deterioration doubling (ghost-like, indistinct secondary images). On a doubled die coin, the doubling is in the die, so every coin struck from the die will have exactly the same doubling.  Unless your coins have characteristics that are an exact match to the coin in the photo, they are not of this variety.  (If you think that your coins are a match, please post better photos.)

As a new collector, it is essential that you master the basics of collecting U.S. coins, including types, the relative rarities of coins of specific dates, mints, and major varieties; grading, basic authentication, and how coins are made, before you get into more advanced topics such as die varieties and mint errors. Please refer to the following forum topics to obtain print and online resources that will enable you to acquire the knowledge necessary to become a successful collector:

Edited by Sandon

I wish I could say that I was eating crow for lunch, but as expected you do not have "the" DDO for this date.   If from one of the many you tube videos or facebook groups you have read how easy it is to find great treasures in your couch or pocket change you can pretty much forget all that because it just is not true.   I do not say that to discourage you from looking and having fun with collecting, it is possible to find some neat things in random change, just not life altering valuables like super rare DDO coins.

On 2/25/2024 at 6:00 AM, double ddo said:

I see is doubling in the eye, tip if the nose, chin, bow tie, ear, the hair above the forehead, the date, the LBR in liberty an God & trust. I probably have it wrong but I'm certain I think about the doubling on Lincoln 

It is very difficult to see any doubling with the photos posted, but If you see doubling of all of those things with the coin in-hand then it's very likely just "worthless" machine doubling.  It's definitely not the rare 1969-S 1C DDO-001 FS-101, which is clear even from those photos, which resulted from a significant counter clockwise (CCW) rotation of the dies during hubbing.

It also can not be the minor DDO-002 (2-O-V-CW) listed on Variety Vista linked above, as that resulted from a clockwise (CW) rotation of the dies during hubbing.  That would produce doubling that would be more visible near the rim like at "In God We Trust" while having very little effect on elements towards the center of the coin (e.g. neck, bow tie, chin).  Sorry, it seems you just have some extra pocket change.

On 2/25/2024 at 3:15 AM, double ddo said:

I do need the hard facts if I want to be successful in the coming years with collecting, buying an selling coins.

Hello again!

Thank you for providing the photos requested. While they were not the best, they were sufficient enough to confirm my suspicions regarding your two cents. 

While it may seem that some on here are "tough" or "hard" on the "new guy", try to remember that you are dealing with different people who have different personalities. While some responses may not seem necessarily "nice", what you do get by asking in this forum is hard truths and hard facts. We are all volunteers here, but there are some of the best numismatists in the country if not in the world right here who are volunteering to answer your question with combined knowledge and expertise. Responses here will not be "sugar coated" but will be fact based and experience based.

If it seems some are being hard on the new guy, it is only because we want people to learn correctly and accurately as there is more misinformation out there than actual fact.

Personally, I like a good success thread, and while this one was not it, hopefully you continue on and present us with a success in the future.

Blast from the Past!

🐓  :  I tell you, if I saw EagleRJO brandishing those by now familiar schematics by Daughtry, with Sandon in hot pursuit, I'd know the jig was up.

Q.A.:  I know what you mean. Very educational, nonetheless.  Funny how when we were younger, all we were concerned with was dates and mintmarks. If we "found" (in circulation) a finer piece, so much the better. The hobby sure has changed! To the OP, "double ddo":  To your credit you have the right temperament.  Many Newbies seeking input are very combative and unreceptive.  The only advice they are receptive to are those that validate their already made-up minds.  Continue to be open -- and learn!  (thumbsu