• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 small date
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I have found a 1982 small date penny that wieghs 3.09 grams ! So I thought I was in the money ! Lol then I just read that only the 1982 D small date penny is valuable ! Can someone please clear this up for me ! Is the Philadelphia mint , small date , penny  valuable

Hello and welcome.  The answer to your question is no, the 1982p small date cent is not worth much more than a cent unless the coin is in superb condition (MS).  You do have the copper variant (3.09g) which may likely have more value as scrap metal.  In the future, it is recommended that you post clear and cropped photos of the coin in question.  It allows members to provide a better assessment of the coin in question.  

Welcome to the Forum

As stated, it is only the copper 1982D Small Date that is valuable. 
The  other 8 varieties in circulated condition are only worth 1 cent.   
Don’t waste too much time looking for one though, there are only.  
about 6 or so known to exist.

On 2/23/2024 at 9:10 AM, Spence Walker said:

Is the Philadelphia mint , small date , penny  valuable

Short answer is No.   Only worth 3 cents for the copper metal value unless in suburb gem condition certified by a legit grading firm like NGC as MS67 or higher.

On 2/26/2024 at 8:08 PM, Greenstang said:

Don’t waste too much time looking for one though, there are only.  
about 6 or so known to exist.

I thought there were only two (2) 1982-D 1C SD Bronze coins known to exist, both graded by NGC, out of billions of cents struck that year in Denver giving you better odds of hitting the Powerball.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/ngc-confirms-second-bronze-1982-d-small-date-cent.html

NGC 1982-D 1C SD Bronze Transitional Coin

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/26/2024 at 9:58 PM, EagleRJO said:

I thought there were only two (2) 1982-D 1C SD Bronze coins known to exist, both graded by NGC, out of billions of cents struck that year in Denver giving you better odds of hitting the Powerball.

Unless another has been found, which I do not believe has, I only remember learning that only two of these were ever found and yes, both were certified by NGC. Typically, I believe we would hear of a third being found as that news would spread like wildfire in the numismatic community, right @EagleRJO?

As for the OP, there are a total of 8 variants of large date and small date 1982 P and D cents but only the transitional bronze 1982 D small date (weight around 3.07-3.08g) is the unicorn everybody thinks they have found. [1982 (P) Large Date Bronze, 1982 (P) Small Date Bronze, 1982 D Large Date Bronze, ***1982 D Small Date Bronze Transitional {unicorn}***, 1982 (P) Large Date Zinc, 1982 (P) Small Date Zinc, 1982 D Large Date Zinc, 1982 D Small Date Zinc].