• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Polished morgan
1 1

12 posts in this topic

A coin that has been abrasively treated with metal polish is regarded as impaired and would be "details" graded by a grading service as "polished" or "cleaned". This would obviously reduce the coin's value, but it would be difficult even to guess by how much without at least seeing its photos. 

Sometimes, cheap can be expensive. As for "cheep", that is strictly for the birds!

The good news here is that somebody else paid for grading and probably found out after the fact. But it is. VAM and DDO which still makes it a collectible coin. I don’t think you did too bad. $46 as an Ef40 according to pcgs. I would be happy with that. 

I was satisfied with the purchase I thought I did okay so my question is is when I buy a coin that is graded and it says polished or clean can I still go by that Ms number that they put on there to look through a price catalog? Or is that strictly just for the details like I said I'm still trying to figure things out

If you are satisfied with the coin that is what matters, however you asked.   While you did not lose much here the coin is worth $30 dollars (to me) give or take depending on the silver spot prices.   Keep in mind that I do not care about varieties or VAM's so I only consider the base coin value.   Also, when you buy problem coins all you have done is buy someone else's problems, I don't think you lost much with this one but making a habit of buying problem coins could leave you with an empty wallet and little to show for it.   It is usually much harder to sell a problem coin once you need to do so.

That is pretty much the only thing I like about purchasing off eBay as they have a 100% guarantee if you're not satisfied with your product you will get your money back I just bought one for $60 and after researching it it was only $32 so for the most part I haven't been going through the coins thoroughly I've been separating them by year mint mark and denomination that way it makes it easier on me when I finally do decide to sit down and really look at all of them

The 1884 Morgan dollar is a relatively common date that is readily available unimpaired through mid-uncirculated grades. An unimpaired XF currently lists $32 in Coin World and $50 in the NGC Price Guide. This coin has an unnatural, and, therefore, undesirable appearance. This coin was being offered in part for its "VAM" die variety as listed in the guides originally developed by Van Allen & Mallis, with the "Hot 50" perhaps being less sought after than the "Top 100". It is not a coin I would buy for its type or date.  I would recommend that you avoid impaired pieces and buy the best pieces that you can afford.  That being said, it's hard to buy any silver dollar these days for under $30. 

Although ANACS, unlike NGC, PCGS, or CAC Grading, gives a numerical grade to "details" graded coins, an impairment always reduces its value and often its salability. There is no precise way to calculate the value of an impaired coin, or any coin for that matter, but I would subtract one to two grades in pricing this one from a price list. A coin with a severe impairment such as a deep scratch or a hole with Extremely Fine details might be valued as a Good or even less.

That's kind of what I figured is they're just going on the detail grade and that by the damage that the cleaning or polishing did this one was passed down to me with all the other ones and I'm pretty sure it's not a proof it does this look like somebody cleaned and polished it it's just way too shiny it has a mirror finish

20240219_183142.jpg

20240219_183154.jpg

Any details coin will basically lose about 1/3 of its value whether it is polished, cleaned, corroded, scratched, bent, graffiti(ed), etc. A coin receiving a details grade, is a details coin no matter what the impairment is. I have sold some details coins on eBay and given the appropriate discount for impairment. They have sold, but some took a very long time to sell. Sometimes it is hard to find a buyer for a details coin. Also, I agree with all the others that you will not recover any value on a details coin. Basically, all the ones I sold were at a loss. Some at a steep loss.

I also agree with the others that it depends on the level of impairment or damage. A coin lightly cleaned or "dipped" that still retains good eye appeal will not lose as much value (it will still lose one to two grade points). Coins that are heavily bent, heavily scratched, holed, tooled, whizzed, rim damaged, deeply scraped, etc. will lose up to 2/3 of their value. Possibly even more.

So, for details coins you can use the price guide as a "base" price on whatever details the coin still has left, but then you have to start deducting for loss of eye appeal and the amount and number of impairments. Multiple impairments = less value (think scratched, bent, corroded all on the same label). 

Yes, the 1886-O also has an unnatural, appearance and has also been polished or "cleaned", with Very Fine details.  It also has a dent in the hair above the eye. You must learn to distinguish between original and "cleaned" or polished coins, which is sometimes difficult even for experienced collectors. This can't be learned entirely from photos, and you should attend coin shows and other venues where you can examine coins in hand. However, I created a custom registry set with an explanation of what to look for and photos and descriptions of "cleaned" coins from my collection, these being mainly rarer pieces or pieces that I bought at an appropriate discount. See Characteristics of "Cleaned" Coins - Custom Set (collectors-society.com).

Oh no I have passed up many many coins because I could tell they were cleaned or polished that one is just one that was left to me when the family member that I was a caretaker for passed away you can clearly tell it's not natural too shiny not at dull.i would just get someones opinion who has been around for a while knowledge is priceless