• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chopped Trade Dollar
1 1

11 posts in this topic

It's been around that's for sure. IMO that's what makes these chop marked coins so interesting is the proof of travel and heavy commerce. I wouldn't collect several of these but possibly one or two for numismatic examples. Cool coin.

Nah. C'mon, there's room for more of em! xD

I know you have interest in these chopmarked issues, but I see a destroyed coin. An 1873 on top of that.

On 2/18/2024 at 3:09 PM, powermad5000 said:

I know you have interest in these chopmarked issues, but I see a destroyed coin

I do collect chop marked Trade dollars, and was initially interested since it was chop marked and straight graded AU50.  I think a few chop marks can add character to some of these, but when I clicked on the image link my eyes bulged out.

I have no idea how PCG$ straight graded this ruined coin, but I guess if you decide to straight grade chop marked coins where do you draw the line and justify that.

On 2/18/2024 at 9:46 PM, EagleRJO said:

I guess if you decide to straight grade chop marked coins where do you draw the line and justify that.

I agree here @EagleRJO. Despite that I am of the camp that chopmarked coins are damaged (just my singular opinion), if the TPG's are going to assign a straight grade to a coin and add "Chopmarked" to the label under that straight grade, then in my opinion, whether it is one single chopmark, two, or the chopmark potpourri we see on the coin you posted, then they should try to determine the grade on what of the coin is left unmolested.

Blast from the Past!

🐓  :  That was a Trade Dollar???

Q.A.:  I know... it's a long story.  :roflmao:

On 2/22/2024 at 5:30 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Blast from the Past!

🐓  :  That was a Trade Dollar???

Q.A.:  I know... it's a long story.  :roflmao:

Hmmm, are you cracking up (for the third time?) talking to the Rooster again.  :baiting: (:

On 2/19/2024 at 6:25 PM, powermad5000 said:

I am of the camp that chopmarked coins are damaged

As do many.  I tend to look at in terms of it was customary and accepted practice for merchants in Asia to check and then mark silver coins, and the US was shipping the vast majority of the Trade Dollars directly to Asia for use in trade where they must have been aware they would be marked.

I think it is interesting how divided collectors are about that, and even the TPG big boys are divided on this with one Details grading chopped coins and the other straight grading them.

On 2/22/2024 at 5:41 PM, EagleRJO said:

Hmmm, are you cracking up (for the third time?) talking to the Rooster again.  :baiting: (:

Mere thoughts, musings, EagleRJO.  Btw, I do appreciate the good-natured Reality checks!  (thumbsu