• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1989 P Roosevelt Dime
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I kept this Roosevelt Dime from pocket change many years ago.  Kept it because I like the "collar like" at the base of Roosevelt's bust.   Also, taking a fresh look again I noticed (see 3rd picture)  a similar unstruck area at the base of the neck to the bottom hairline.  Are these Cuds?

RD001ObserveComp.thumb.JPG.abcee90e94f6ccd896055999db48a3f9.JPGRD001ReverseComp.thumb.JPG.4b13f59be0d7195c4f5db732e6144cba.JPGRD001Observe2Comp.thumb.JPG.c17071f2731920ae4c0897e23d51d0b3.JPG

The obverse of this 1989-P dime was struck from a worn die, as indicated by the softness of Roosevelt's hair, while the reverse, apparently struck from a newer die, is still fairly sharp. The raised areas on the obverse that you point out are likely also due to die wear, which caused portions of the die to sink or subside.  See  https://www.error-ref.com/?s=die+subsidence  Coins struck from worn dies generally aren't considered to be desirable by most collectors.

This is not a "cud", which results from an area broken from the die. See https://www.error-ref.com/cuds/.

A cud happens when a portion of the die breaks off leaving unstruck metal on the coin's surface due to the portion of the planchet not struck because a section of the die has fallen off. Cuds are always on the rim of the die, not in the center of the strike.

Most of the 80's dimes were notoriously struck from dies of substandard condition and also used well past their point of normal wear and replacement evidenced by the rare MS 69 specimens over the decade. PCGS does not even list any graded at MS 69, and NGC has only graded 2 for the entire decade. Even MS 68 specimens are very scarce throughout.

While I am not very familiar with the die condition described by @Sandon, I can say I have seen that effect on some of the Roosevelt dimes over that time period but didn't put much emphasis onto them as they were similar in condition to the posted dime. I am not sure if this condition would be considered as "too minor" if it were to be submitted as a mint error, but I would think the outcome would be as such. Some of the examples shown in the link provided by Sandon would be more likely candidates to be considered as an actual mint error since so much of the detail is lost due to the poor striking condition of the dies.

The obverse of your dime also looks to be struck from a very slightly misaligned die but once again, it is not enough to be considered a mint error as the dime still retains all of its details. Misaligned die errors are not attributed until a portion or portions of the design elements are missing due to the misalignment (just a small portion of the rim missing also does not qualify).

If I had this dime, I would keep it as it does have elements not typically found on most Roosevelt dimes.

Edited by powermad5000