• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 DDO Kennedy Half Dollar
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Also inherited from my grandmother 3 half dollars.  This 1969 JFK half dollar has obvious Reverse doubling.  Do you think I should send in to NGC for certifications as an error coin?

JFK002Closeup2.thumb.JPG.24268f22146dd17baa9b80998ab5cfa3.JPGJFK002Closeup3.thumb.JPG.73c101ea6d15e86114aa7083a1fa9bc0.JPGJFK002Closeup4.thumb.JPG.27ccda5aea6b107aa77a73e2450040ee.JPGJFK002Reverse.thumb.JPG.f917bff903e26cfe2d89228c9582c428.JPG

JFK002 Closeup1.JPG

Please post photos of each full side of a coin about which you have questions, not just close-ups.

The shelf-like doubling on the reverse of what I assume is a circulated 1969-D Kennedy half dollar is called strike doubling, also known as machine or mechanical doubling. It is caused by a die that is loose in the press and is extremely common.  Coins with this form of doubling command no premium. See Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com) and https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html. NGC would not attribute a coin with this form of doubling.

While you should treasure this coin as a keepsake from your grandmother, it is currently only worth its silver value as a "silver clad" (40% silver) 1965-69 half dollar, about $3.50 at today's silver price, a small fraction of what it would cost to submit it to NGC.

I assume that you are a relatively new collector. Do you have basic books about coins, such as a recent edition "Redbook", a grading guide, and access to a current price guide? If you don't or even if you do, you should find the books and online resources identified in the following forum topics helpful:

The title says DDO. The photos are all of the reverse.

I was unable to find a listing anywhere for a 1969 (P) Kennedy Half with a DDR. What I see is a form of strike doubling. If it were true doubling the image would be rotated slightly either clockwise or counterclockwise. On the H in Half, it is presenting slightly down and to the left of the H. On a true DDR, then, in your photo of UNITED, by the time you got to the D in UNITED, it should be presenting to the right side of the D and it is not. It is still presenting to the left side.

I also don't see it presenting in other elements such as the stars.

On 2/16/2024 at 5:02 PM, Cary Coins said:

This 1969 JFK half dollar has obvious Reverse doubling

In the future you might want to put this into the form of a question rather than a definitive statement.

On 2/16/2024 at 5:02 PM, Cary Coins said:

Do you think I should send in to NGC for certifications as an error coin?

If it were to have true hub doubling, it still would not be an error. It would be a variety. DDO, DDR, RPM, and RPD are not errors. They are varieties.

On 2/17/2024 at 12:58 AM, powermad5000 said:

I was unable to find a listing anywhere for a 1969 (P) Kennedy Half with a DDR.

Hopefully, you were unable to find a listing for any 1969 (P) half dollar, as all 1969 dated circulation strike half dollars were coined at the Denver mint and have a "D" mintmark, and all proofs at San Francisco with an "S" mintmark. 

On 2/17/2024 at 1:25 PM, Sandon said:

Hopefully, you were unable to find a listing for any 1969 (P) half dollar

OMG! I was up way too late last night I see. I think my brain had already decided to go to bed before my body. No wonder why I slept for 12 hours last night.

I maybe should throw in this edit and complete the thought I had that I did not find anything resembling the OP's Kennedy half dollar.

Edited by powermad5000

On 2/17/2024 at 3:36 PM, powermad5000 said:

OMG! I was up way too late last night I see. I think my brain had already decided to go to bed before my body. No wonder why I slept for 12 hours last night.

I maybe should throw in this edit and complete the thought I had that I did not find anything resembling the OP's Kennedy half dollar.

Hopefully, you were unable to find a listing for any 1969 (P) half dollar

Ya I think the Philly mint was closed at that time.

Edited by J P M

It's a good thing more rational minds than mine, weighed in.

To me, a doubled-die (DD) is any coin that is immediately identifiable.  It is not necessary to enlist a GPS to direct you to the site of the variety.  The 1955 (not necessary to denote denomination) remains the Gold Standard classic coin exhibiting the phenomenon alluded to.

Editorial comment:  It is a good thing I am not the gatekeeper to the Board because this "claim" would have been automatically time-barred, if truly an error, under my "proposed" statute of limitations on all inquiries regarding 20th century coins found in circulation.  I am delighted to see cooler heads prevail.

To the OP, Cary Coins...  to your credit, you enlisted the help of an informed membership who to their credit unbeknownst to you, inadvertently saved you a sizeable sum of money in certification costs.