• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade came back - Fine Details - Damaged
1 1

11 posts in this topic

hi all - in regards to the title - i was going to resubmit a coin because i wanted more information on it like a grade and what "damaged" means to this specific submission.  However, i'm lost in terms of what to select to get these additional details on the submission form.  the coin is currently in an NGC holder already

Edited by Indianaman79
more information

Can you post photos of the coin. Obverse and reverse so we can see the details.?

Most of the members will not go to a link. can you post from the Choose file tab on the bottom of the post?

I have taken the liberty of clicking on the links which contain the certification number:  2564994-002.  I looked up NGC grading, found the scale which referred to the glossary of terms used.

It seems "damaged" is a "catchall" term which refers to scratches, corrosion, wear, etc., and that is why it was assigned an adjectival grade rather than a formal one. 

There would be little point in resubmitted the coin. Go to NGC's site and look for grading and an explanation for details.  (That appears to be the reason why entering the cert. # comes up blank.)  Normal wear gets a grade; a coin that has been damaged in any number of ways, does not.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Wrong word deleted.

I was able to view the NGC certification verification photos for the number provided by @Henri Charriere by entering "NGC Details" as the grade. It is an 1803 large cent graded Fine Details--Damaged.  The coin was graded by NGC in 2011, and the photos from that time weren't very clear, but I can see that the coin has at last three noticeable dents on Liberty's portrait, which are the likely cause of the details grade. NGC is no less strict on this type of damage today. If you resubmit the coin in or out of its current holder, you will almost certainly get the same result. Grading services generally do not provide explanations for grades assigned, and I doubt they have the graders' notes from 2011.

The majority--perhaps the vast majority--of early (especially pre-1816) U.S. copper coins have surface issues that preclude numerical grading. If you look at the NGC census for numerically versus "details" graded pieces, you will find that the "details" graded pieces are often in the majority, despite most submitters hopefully having the knowledge not to submit most such pieces that have substantial impairments.

On 2/15/2024 at 11:28 AM, Indianaman79 said:

i was going to resubmit a coin because i wanted more information on it like a grade and what "damaged" means to this specific submission.

You can try calling customer service to see if there are any notes in the system with additional information, but that would be a long shot.  Resubmitting a coin will not provide additional information on why the coin was determined to be "Damaged" and received a "Details" grade.  See the following link on information about NGC Details Grading ... https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/details-grading/

Btw, there are images on the NGC certification page for this coin, and they are some of the worst certification photos I have seen in a while, which are very dark where you can barely make out the coin ... https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2564994-002/NGCDetails/

On 2/16/2024 at 12:08 AM, Just Bob said:

Scratched/dinged

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

I recognize these from the Links provided.  Using my thumb and finger to enlarge the images on my cell, I see mottled fields (extensive pitting; uniform corrosion) and believe the coin to be overgraded.  The date on the obverse looks like 1805 and the rest of what I know should be there is illegible.  Plumbing the depths of my memory from the 1960's, I can recall no Red Book's definition of Fine that would apply to this coin. I would hesitate to contemplate how many decades of unremitting erosion, by any number of agents, would be required to simulate the damage exhibited by this coin -- and I am by no means a strict grader. To add insult to injury, the grade bestowed, at your expense, has effectively precluded this coin from low-ball consideration. It is eminently qualified to be what collectors who house their coins in albums refer to as a "hole (space) filler."  IMNSHO.

[Edit: My apologies to the gentleman from the Hoosier State for the harsh assessment.  My thanks to Just Bob for providing photos from the Links. My appreciation to Sandon for the revelation that the cert. verifier can be used to look up coins marked DETAILS.]

Edited by Henri Charriere
Add edit.