• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1909 Wheat Penny Info Wanted
1 1

5 posts in this topic

This 1909 Lincoln cent appears to have suffered environmental damage (corrosion), followed by someone's "cleaning" it in a misguided attempt to improve its appearance. The corrosion could have occurred from the coin being buried, being kept in a damp environment, or various other causes. The coin's bronze (95% copper, 5% zinc and tin) composition is highly susceptible to corrosion, which cannot be reversed.

On 2/10/2024 at 4:15 AM, Kotalynne said:

I have one to how much do they sell for 

"I have one too.  How much do they sell for?"

Unanswerable as phrased.

What exactly is it that you have?  A similarly corroded 1909 cent with extensive post-mint damage, or a coin exhibiting wear consistent with its age. The only way anyone can provide you with information regarding grade and price, is to examine it in-hand.  Barring that, photos of both the obverse (front) and reverse (back) focused sharply under optimum lighting conditions and cropped appropriately for posting, would be necessary.

On 2/10/2024 at 3:15 AM, Kotalynne said:

I have one to how much do they sell for

On 2/10/2024 at 3:53 AM, Henri Charriere said:

photos of both the obverse (front) and reverse (back) focused sharply under optimum lighting conditions and cropped appropriately for posting, would be necessary.

I agree with @Henri Charriere here, but in addition to posting photos of your coin, make sure it is in a separate topic as well. It can get very confusing when you latch on to someone else' post with a coin of your own and then have cross commenting going back and forth. Also, no two coins are exactly alike so it would be impossible to comment on your coin without the photos.