• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1794 Silver Dollar
1 1

10 posts in this topic

1. I see four coins, not just one.
  2. None of the four coins show reverses and none are zoomed and cropped, so there's nothing to talk about yet except that you clearly did not take time to look over the posting guidelines.
  3. You have no question, just a statement, so there is nothing to answer.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Even with the photos provided, it is obvious that these are crude counterfeits, probably cast and composed of base metal. See 1794 BB-1,B-1 $1 MS | Coin Explorer | NGC (ngccoin.com) for photos and specifications of a genuine example.   All genuine 1794 Flowing Hair dollars (fewer than 200 known) were struck from a single pair of dies, so the style and positioning of each number, star, letter and device of genuine pieces would match exactly, which those you show clearly do not. 

Genuine pieces of this issue are worth at least tens of thousands of dollars each. How much did the dealer who said they were "most likely real" offer you for them?

Here is the direct quote:  "I took it to a coin dealer and said it is most likely real"

Now let's try a few more variations...

"I took it to a coin dealer and  said it is [was] most likely real[.]"

"I took it to a coin dealer. I told him it is (was] most likely real[.]"

Absent context, none of the above make sense.  Compare those, with this:

"I took it (past tense) to a coin dealer and [he] said it was (past tense) most likely real. (period)"

The reason why I find your assertion to be lacking credibility comes down to human nature.  As much as we would all like to believe everyone in the coin business is upright, blameless and without sin, there are a number of ravenous wolves running amok among us without morals, ethics and scruples. In New York City, that same dealer you took that coin to, intuitively sensing you had no idea as to the value of what you had, would have casually asked you what you wanted for it.  He most assuredly would NOT volunteer its FMV, as member Sandon did above.

When you approach any dealer, first impressions count... your dress, your gait, carriage, how you comport yourself...how well you speak.

Welcome to the real world of coin collecting.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

At first glance, I noted the very rough appearance of these (4 coins) and also noted that there were differences in the details of each, which tells me all of them are fake, and probably made of cast metal explaining the rough surfaces of each. I also noted the reverses are terrible and basically show no details, just outlines of the design, also not commensurate with the amount of details on the obverses which also adds additional observation that none of these are genuine.

I also think your statement needs clarification. You took it to a dealer. Either you said they were real, or the dealer examined them and said they were real. Basically, either you need to further educate on coins and collecting, or you need to find a new dealer.

On 2/9/2024 at 6:03 PM, Greenstang said:

find a new coin dealer.

All four are low quality fakes...and presumably so is the so-called "coin dealer."

On 2/9/2024 at 9:40 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Here is the direct quote:  "I took it to a coin dealer and said it is most likely real" ... Absent context, none of the above make sense.  Compare those, with this: "I took it (past tense) to a coin dealer and [he] said it was (past tense) most likely real. (period)"

I also assume he means the coin dealer said it was real, as it wouldn't make sense if he told the dealer it was real but still has questions about it.

On 2/9/2024 at 5:43 PM, RamonSantiago said:

I took it to a coin dealer and said it is most likely real

I agree with Greenstang that you need to find a new dealer.  Which "coin dealer" so anyone in the area knows to avoid that one.

Counterfeit and a bad one at that. I doubt your "coin dealer" is ANA certified or has any real legitimate coin knowledge if they couldn't spot this counterfeit. Its that obvious based on the extreme rarity and history of the coin and the fact it is crudely made with definite obvious differences in the device design.