• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with identifying Mint of an ancient coin with Alexander the Great.
1 1

2 posts in this topic

I've recently acquired a tetradrachm of the Alexander, however I am unsure about its mint. The problem is that according to the description its apparently Odessus mint, however, I've looked at the Alexander from that mint and they look quite different. The description says that it was minted around 275-270 BC. 

Thank you for any help!

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

I used Google Lens on each side of your coin, and while I am certainly no expert in Ancients (I do own a few), being you described a difference, what I came up with and is near the time period you suggest, is it from the Ptolemaic Kingdom?

*******following information was found on Wikipedia*********

If so, their mint was first in Memphis and later moved to Alexandria (maybe that explains the difference). Ptolemaic weight was considered to be around 14.20 grams where as the more common Attic weight from Hellenistic states was considered to be around 17.26 grams. According to Wikipedia, Alexander the Great died in 323 BC and his possibly half-brother Ptolemy basically took over and became successor. Ptolemy's family ruled until about 30 BC during the Roman Conquest.

Coinage was used in the Ptolemaic Kingdom during the last dynasty of Egypt and, briefly, during Roman rule of Egypt. The first Ptolemaic mint was at Memphis. It was later moved to Alexandria.[7]

Tyre was the most important coastal city out of the five Ptolemaic cities with a mint in Syria.[2] After the Seleucid Kingdom led by Antiochus III the Great conquered Coele-Syria Ptolemais in Phoenicia (Acre) was still allowed to strike coins using the Phoenician weight. The mint remained very prolific, and was among the most active ones in the Seleucid Kingdom.[8][9] It is likely that the city struck silver coinage without an interruption after it changed hands, as it was a very important city in Phoenicia.[9] However, the Seleucids discontinued a Ptolemaic mint in Jaffa.[3]

In Greece, Ptolemaic coinage mainly originates from the Peloponnese and Euboea. Corinth did not strike Ptolemaic coinage during its brief subordination to the kingdom.[2]

Cyprus had many important mints, and the island struck large amounts of Ptolemaic coinage from 200 BC to 80 BC.[2] Cyprus was also richer in silver than Egypt.[10] In the second century BC, most of the Cypriot coinage are easily identifiable and datable because they include abbreviations for mints and dates for both gold and silver coinage. Cypriot mints from this period include Salamis (abbr. ΣA), Kition (abbr. KI) and Paphos (abbr. Π, and later as ΠA).[11] Meanwhile, at Crete, there was no royal coinage in use, and Cretan cities had a strong autonomy of minting their own coins.[2]

There are no evidence that Ptolemaic mints existed in Asia Minor. Furthermore, regions such as Cilicia and Lycia had no autonomous mints striking local currency. It seems that there was little circulation of Ptolemaic currency in Caria, Lycia, Pamphylia and Cilicia. Local Pamphylian silver coinage was discontinued under Ptolemaic control. It is likely that people in southern Asia Minor simply did not have a habit of using coinage in everyday economic transactions.[2]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said, I am no expert in ancients. just musing and don't know if what I have replied here will help or hinder so take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by powermad5000