• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940-S DDO -003 Mercury Dime
1 1

10 posts in this topic

No.

I don't see the light downward doubling and "notching" on the "9" and "4" of the date of your coin that shows clearly on the Variety Vista ("VV") photos. The leftward doubling on the "1" of your coin, which isn't on the VV photos, appears to be strike doubling, and the light downward "notching" on the top of the "1" in the VV photos doesn't show on your photos. The reverse die used to strike your coin is definitely different from that used to strike the coin in the "VV" photos, as the mintmark is in a distinctly different position.

The die cracks on your coin are similar but not as extensive, apparently lacking the crack through the cap. Dies for particular types often crack in the same places, indicating that these are areas of particular stress.  If matching doubling were visible, the coin might be an earlier die state of the DDO-003 variety, but matching doubling would be vital to identify it as this doubled die variety.

On 2/7/2024 at 1:10 PM, Sandon said:

No.

I don't see the light downward doubling and "notching" on the "9" and "4" of the date of your coin that shows clearly on the Variety Vista ("VV") photos. The leftward doubling on the "1" of your coin, which isn't on the VV photos, appears to be strike doubling, and the light downward "notching" on the top of the "1" in the VV photos doesn't show on your photos. The reverse die used to strike your coin is definitely different from that used to strike the coin in the "VV" photos, as the mintmark is in a distinctly different position.

The die cracks on your coin are similar but not as extensive, apparently lacking the crack through the cap. Dies for particular types often crack in the same places, indicating that these are areas of particular stress.  If matching doubling were visible, the coin might be an earlier die state of the DDO-003 variety, but matching doubling would be vital to identify it as this doubled die variety.

The 40 looks fat and smoosed like in the VV photo,however.

That's from incomplete detail. Look at other letters near the rim. Top of T is almost invisible.

On 2/7/2024 at 7:50 PM, RWB said:

That's from incomplete detail. Look at other letters near the rim. Top of T is almost invisible.

Yea the T is a I.

Edited by Errorists

It does have a nice rim to rim die crack it is just hard to see. Is this something you wanted to pick up for resale I am not sure I would buy it just from the pictures.

Edited by J P M

On 2/8/2024 at 6:20 AM, J P M said:

It does have a nice rim to rim die crack it is just hard to see. Is this something you wanted to pick up for resale I am not sure I would buy it just from the pictures.

Actually, I have another one similar to this coming in which is in much better shape. Possibly in BU condition. I'll post it here when it comes in. Resale ? . Not sure what I can get for it.