• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Questions on Coins
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Sorry for the newbie questions however I started coin collecting with my son last year. Like kids often do he told me what I tell him there is no such thing as a dumb question if you learn from the answer. So even though they look different would they both as 1982 d Pennies be considered large dates? They both weighed 3.1gram.  Secondly do you think this 1912 no s mint mark is a error coin (seen in pictures) would be worth sending in. Sorry not the  greatest of pictures yet. Any response is appreciated so, Thank you. 

PXL_20240203_070351785~2.jpg

PXL_20240203_070517594.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

PXL_20240203_070556734.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

PXL_20240203_072542703.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~2.jpg

PXL_20240203_072645252.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

PXL_20240203_072645252.PORTRAIT.jpg

Welcome to the forum.  Yes, both cents are large dates, once you get the hang of it the large and small dates are very easy to tell apart.  Your 1912 is a Philadelphia minted coin, that is why there is no mint mark, "V" or Liberty nickel that has been gold plated and really beat up, no errors that I see so really no value there. 

Edited by l.cutler

Hello and welcome to the forum!

All questions are welcome here, and here you will get direct, honest answers to your questions. I also agree that there are no dumb questions. The only thing that is dumb is not to ask a question and subsequently never learn because you don't have an answer to a question never asked in the first place.

You are correct, both Lincoln cents are large dates, and also weigh within mint tolerance.

Your 1912 Liberty Head nickel was struck in Philadelphia as noted above, but is what is known as a "racketeering" nickel which is basically a standard nickel that has been gold plated. There are many of these racketeering nickels for sale on eBay and going for various prices. Typical common dates in large mintages were used to make these racketeering nickels and I can only guess those who made them figured they could make a buck or two off of plating them. As for serious collectors, these are viewed as permanently damaged and therefore not collectable from the standpoint of a serious collector. Also to note, NGC will not encapsulate coins that have been plated.

Edited by powermad5000

On 2/3/2024 at 2:44 AM, l.cutler said:

Welcome to the forum.  Yes, both cents are large dates, once you get the hang of it the large and small dates are very easy to tell apart.  Your 1912 is a Philadelphia minted coin, that is why there is no mint mark, "V" or Liberty nickel that has been gold plated and really beat up, no errors that I see so really no value there. 

Thank you I thought so just wanted to make sure I appreciate every response. There is so much and definitely a lot to learn and not the fake or over hyped YouTube way that so many do thinking watching a video makes them experts. I appreciate and value any real knowledge and learning through hard work. 

On 2/4/2024 at 9:52 PM, AHORTON57 said:

Thank you I thought so just wanted to make sure I appreciate every response. There is so much and definitely a lot to learn and not the fake or over hyped YouTube way that so many do thinking watching a video makes them experts. I appreciate and value any real knowledge and learning through hard work. 

I'm of the school that believes there are plenty of dumb questions, as anyone who has spent five minutes on their local BegsDoor should be able to verify. However, yours were not among them. "Novice question" does not mean "dumb question." This forum's very title says that it's for novice "newbie" questions.