• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help 2002 p kennedy half error missing 2 in date
1 1

9 posts in this topic

i have a 2002 p kennedy half dollar proof in plastic uncirrculated with and error. it is missing the last 2 in the date and i cant find anything about it online. There are several errors on this coin

17068454542422197552513224798145.jpg

17068454639256626268260223684830.jpg

Edited by jess76
Forgot pictures

Not completely missing, the bottom line of the numeral two is clearly visible and the rest of the numeral is there just very faint.   The area where the numeral and some of the letters of "Trust" should be may have been manipulated to remove some metal and create a false error.   The other possibility is that the die had some foreign matter (likely grease) that clogged up those parts of the die and did not allow for metal to flow properly into those areas in the die during the striking of this coin.   Photos can only tell so much and for myself I would need the coin in hand to see if the coin shows any signs of micro polishing in the areas of the missing letters.

If the first you just have a damaged coin, if the second it is considered a very common and minor error which most knowledgeable collectors would have little interest in and would not pay much if any premium for.

This die was well used at the time this coin was struck, you can tell that by the very obvious radial flow lines that start at the bust and go out towards the rim.   This is a clear sign of a die that is near or past its serviceable life, not unusual (and not an error) as the mint tries to milk each die to the very last possible strike to save money.

Edited by Coinbuf

I see remnants of the 2 and the U in the motto. I agree with everything @Coinbuf said in his reply. I note the color changes in those areas so it would have to be examined in hand to see if there are micro abrasions from the number and lettering being ground or polished off, or if that coloration change is just due to there being leftover grease in the die.

Yes, it looks as if the second 2 was carefully and intentionally ground off. Why? To fool people consumed by “errors”. That’s why. Half of the ‘U’ and the ‘ST’ in ‘TRUST’ too. Some people just gripe about those consumed by error hunting. I’m one of those. Other people seek to actively embarrass them. Whoever did this is one of those. Be glad I’m not. I have all KINDS of ideas. They’re just not worth my time. And error hunting ain’t worth YOURS either. 

Edited by VKurtB

A filled die coin will have normal weight. A coin with metal removed will be lighter than normal.

Thank you all for your input. I definitely didnt alter it thank you to last comment to fool someone..that was very out of line i feel. It was in plastic i cut it out so i could get good pictures of the coin. But if the "error" was caused by the grease and isnt of much value then thats ok... thank you again for all your help.

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/432646-help-2002-s-kennedy-half-dollar-proof-missing-2-in-date/?do=findComment&comment=9867986

Edited by jess76
Picture

On 2/2/2024 at 1:52 PM, jess76 said:

I definitely didnt alter it ... thank you to last comment to fool someone

I don't think the intent was to say you did anything.  Did you get the coin direct from the mint in 2002 and had it ever since?  If so then the appearance is just an anomaly as struck thru grease coins typ don't look like that.

If not you would be surprised what people will do to alter coins or make them look like errors including grinding on them with dremel tools, pressing objects or other coins against them in a vice, resealing packaging, dipping them in chemicals or rubbing things on them, baking them in an oven ... you name it.

Edited by EagleRJO