• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a guide on grading MS coins?
2 2

34 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2024 at 10:09 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Do you have any particular coin series or type that you are interested in ?

I am working on a type set currently, but also getting all of the cheap proof sets. I'm particularly interested in the draped bust large cents at the moment.

On 2/12/2024 at 9:07 AM, VKurtB said:

.... I noticed that past German collectors tended to be very fond of polishing their coins. It was uncommon to find anything more than a few decades old that had NOT BEEN harshly cleaned. Toning was nearly completely absent. There simply are VAAAAAAST differences in collecting cultures. .... A typical German collector with a coin with peripheral rainbow toning will want to polish that “junk” off the coin and return it to blast white status....

Having just re-read @Sandon's thread regarding artificial vs original toning, I was reminded of my intention to ask you a critical question regarding this post generally, and a few extracts of comments you had made, specifically.  Rather than dwell on the nuances of "collecting cultures," I would appreciate your sharing what it is collectors in Germany use to restore their coins to "blast white status," even if it entails subjecting them to a harsh cleaning.  Unmentioned  in any of this is loss of detail due to wear with resultant loss in value.  I would like to know how the two, i.e., cleaning and condition are reconciled or does state of preservation matter only in Stempelglanz (ST) coins which presumably would be stored with enough care to avoid tarnish?

On 4/5/2024 at 8:59 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Having just re-read @Sandon's thread regarding artificial vs original toning, I was reminded of my intention to ask you a critical question regarding this post generally, and a few extracts of comments you had made, specifically.  Rather than dwell on the nuances of "collecting cultures," I would appreciate your sharing what it is collectors in Germany use to restore their coins to "blast white status," even if it entails subjecting them to a harsh cleaning.  Unmentioned  in any of this is loss of detail due to wear with resultant loss in value.  I would like to know how the two, i.e., cleaning and condition are reconciled or does state of preservation matter only in Stempelglanz (ST) coins which presumably would be stored with enough care to avoid tarnish?

The appearance is of having used mild detergent and fairly soft brushes. It could be as bad as toothpaste and toothbrush. That makes sense that it was found on the European continent, but not in England. England seems to be largely unfamiliar with toothpaste and toothbrushes. 

On 4/5/2024 at 9:59 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I would appreciate your sharing what it is collectors in Germany use to restore their coins to "blast white status," even if it entails subjecting them to a harsh cleaning.  Unmentioned  in any of this is loss of detail due to wear with resultant loss in value.  I would like to know how the two, i.e., cleaning and condition are reconciled or does state of preservation matter only in Stempelglanz (ST) coins which presumably would be stored with enough care to avoid tarnish?

Very good point when coming to German coinage …. I have a rare hard to find German 2 reichsmark PROOF Potsdam church 1st anniversary of Nazi rule … that was they called “slightly rubbed” blast white it been dipped at one time …. But what find is odd to me … the “rubbing” does not go over higher spots the devices of coin such as Potsdam church or eagle on reverse of the coin (you’d figure if some really rubbed it you’d see hairline scratches in high spots as well) … in-fact I’ve studied few of Potsdam church Proof coins I see hairline scratches in field that are very common even the PCGS straight graded with hairlines all over the coin… I came to wonder if it due to sitting in coin envelopes when German collectors would slide the coin in and out of envelope that it was leaving hairlines scratches all over the proof … under light it’s very distracting to a US collector , in Germany it’s probably more acceptable I’ve seen tons and tons of German coins with hairlines on them sold off as MINT state coins we have remember they do not fully embrace the TPG they keep their stuff Raw as can be 

this coin I would be too embarrassed to even attempt send it in for grading , very distracting to my eyes then again I’m American we are picky about the conditions of our coins …. I had this coin for about 3 or 4 years I would loved to see what it looked like before they dipped it , hopefully it re-tones naturally again some day will probably a little more pleasing on eyes to look at if it tones a little darker … right now I put it in one of them old old coin envelopes the old stuff from 60’s that probably help it get it tone a little , but it will remain in my raw collection for long time 

IMG_9693.jpeg

IMG_9692.jpeg

IMG_9694.jpeg

Edited by Jason Abshier