• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I figured I joined y'all y'all get first shot. If not maybe point me in the right direction
1 1

7 posts in this topic

On 2/1/2024 at 8:55 AM, Trakshuhn said:

I joined ngc wanted to start a business for Dad to retire but it's too much. Where do I go what do I do

IMG_20240201_072014.jpg

IMG_20240201_072010.jpg

IMG_20240201_071956.jpg

Plus 10 more this isn't even all of one

• Administrator

Hello @TrakshuhnThank you for contacting us. It looks like you have an awesome collection of coins on your hands! We would be happy to assist you with grading and preserving your collection. You would need to kindly send your coins to us for them to be evaluated by our coin-grading professionals. Below are the instructions and links to help get you started:

The first step to submitting is determining the potential value of each coin. You’ll need to have a general idea of the value of each coin to help select which grading “tier” or category to submit the coin under. Grading tiers and fees can be found at Services and Fees | Coin Submissions | NGC (ngccoin.com). Once you have done that, you can find more information on how to start submitting coins online at How to Submit, which has step-by-step instructions on how to send in your coins.

If you do not wish to sign up for membership, you can find a listing of authorized NGC dealers that can submit the coins on your behalf here: NGC Coin Dealer Locator

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

On 2/1/2024 at 7:55 AM, Trakshuhn said:

I joined ngc wanted to start a business for Dad to retire but it's too much. Where do I go what do I do

First welcome to the forum, second your post is rather vague, what is it that you want to do.   Are you looking for help to liquidate the coins you have already bought?   Are you asking how to have the coins in your photos graded by a TPG like NGC?   Or something else altogether?

This may be tough to hear but in just looking at what I can see and make out in your photos none of those coins look like coins that would be good candidates to spend further monies on having graded.   Granted that I cannot make out every coin so there may be a few that would be worth the cost that could be in those 2X2's.

Contrary to what you may have read making money buying and selling coins requires excellent grading skills and a knowledge of the coin market, these skills and knowledge do not happen overnight.

Without knowing what you are wanting help with I can only offer some very general suggestions.   If your goal is to liquidate the coins you have, you have a few options.   First you can look at the list of NGC authorized dealers here on the NGC website and find the closest one to you, contact that dealer and see if he is interested in purchasing the coins you have.   Fair warning, do not expect to get sell to a dealer for what you paid especially true if you have purchased these recently.   Most dealers pay roughly 50% to 60% of retail price when buying.   This first option will be the fastest way to liquidate the coins but will also likely net you the least amount of money in return.

A second option is to open an Ebay store and list all these coins for sale there, you can also simultaneously list most of these on other sites like Etsy and there are numerous Facebook groups where coins are bought and sold.   All of these options will require a fair amount of work on your part to list and then to ship once you have made a sale, you will maximize your return but you will work hard for it vs selling it all to a dealer.

If your goal is to have these coins graded by a firm like NGC you would need to sit down and go through each coin and figure out which coins are worth spending the monies to have graded.   This is where the grading skill and market knowledge will be needed as sending in everything would cost thousands of dollars for a negative return on those grading dollars.

Best of luck, figure out what your goals are and then find a path forward.

I generally agree with what @Coinbuf has stated.  

NGC would charge a minimum authentication and grading fee per coin of $19 (Modern tier) for coins dated from 1965 on and $23 (Economy tier) for earlier dated coins, plus a $10 per order processing fee and a minimum $28 per order return shipping fee. See NGC Services and Fees | NGC (ngccoin.com). This would be in addition to your own shipping costs. Based on what little I can see from your group photo, your coins appear to be mostly or entirely low value pieces with retail values ranging from a few cents to a few dollars of the type collected by child, beginner, and casual collectors and kept in these stapled cardboard holders or coin albums or folders. Placing these coins in grading service holders would not increase their market value and might even reduce their salability. You would lose a great deal of money if you were to submit such coins.

One of the holders in your photos purportedly contains a "proof" 1916 Buffalo nickel, which is highly unlikely. Only 600 such pieces were struck as proofs, known as "matte proofs", as opposed to over 63 million regular 1916 Buffalo nickels. A dealer would be highly unlikely to sell such a rare coin in a stapled 2x2 holder. I enlarged the photo as much as possible, and the coin it contains appears to be worn, damaged, and corroded, while a proof would have been sold to a collector of that time and likely carefully preserved to this day. However, if you post clear, cropped photos of each side of this coin on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum, we might be able to offer an informal opinion as to whether the coin may be a proof.

Like all meaningful endeavors in life, being successful as a coin collector (or perhaps eventually dealer) requires a great deal of study and experience. If you are interested in learning about U.S. coins, please see the following forum topics to obtain print and online resources from which you may obtain the essential knowledge that you will need:

On 2/1/2024 at 9:55 AM, Trakshuhn said:

...Where do I go what do I do

Welcome.  My first recommendation is to take your time.  My second recommendation is to organize and enjoy what you have.  It's hard to understand what you are dealing with when it's in a pile, and I think it is very easy to get overwhelmed.  As you organize, try to learn a little about each coin and the series.  

Then... go back and read the @Coinbuf post again.  Understand your goals, and select a path to get there.  Good luck.

Hey So all that were sincere and truly wanted to help mad props. This is for my Pops im gonna buy him a collectables shop let him retire and hang out mess I owe him that but to the smart asses you know who you are hey you got probably 20 bucks there let me guess coin dealer oh I played baseball my entire life and collected baseball cards got started later on I with coins but let me ask sandy see what he says it how about or how about old Roger or maybe the best all around player of all time Mickey because all 4 of him said your full of sh@#$ sh#$@ This is not even half of my buffalo nickels don't make me keep pulling the collection because someone is a child. Well I win you can hang on son now it's my turn. Liberty mercury barber Indian head wheat standing sitting liberties. what's next? Hey and again thanks to everyone that gave a damn. 

IMG_20240202_203532.jpg

IMG_20240202_203540.jpg

IMG_20240202_203557.jpg

IMG_20240202_203415.jpg