• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help, I cannot find anything out about this Gen. George Washington Pater-Patriae Uniface Medallion by Dieges & Clust Late 1800's early 1900's About 3 Inches and Heavy
1 1

5 posts in this topic

You say UNIFACE, but you post two pictures. Which one are you referring to?

The one that says George Washington at the top is from 1889. They range from 113-155mm. Issued by the Committee of the Celebration in New York. The design is by Philip Martiny, the dies were engraved by Augustus Saint Gaudens, and was made by the Gorham Silver Company in New York City. This was Saint Gaudens' first official medallic commission. Catalog references are Baker-671 and Douglas-53. However, that is for ones with a reverse design with an eagle over New York City Arms and a 12-line ‘Committee on Celebration’ inscription. They typically sell for $300-$500. If you have a uniface one, it's probably just a die trial. 

I can't find any reference to the other one. 

The other one is rather odd...

Pater Patria (which is more commonly spelled with an e, Patriae) means "Father of the Fatherland," and the date, to me, has no meaning: April 30, 1839.

Both feature the Roman fasces and are which will be familiar to collectors of the Winged Liberty dime.

Looking at the top left, under Pater is the partial date: 1750; on the top right under Patriae is the remainder of the date: 39, which together reads 1789. I would guess this is a 50th anniversary commemorative medal. I would be curious to know if there is any inscription along the medal's circumferential edge. The top one has a bronze look to it; the bottom, silvery.  Very nice presentation pieces which were clearly preserved with care.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die polishing

On 1/31/2024 at 8:57 PM, Henri Charriere said:

The other one is rather odd...

Pater Patria (which is more commonly spelled with an e, Patriae) means "Father of the Fatherland," and the date, to me, has no meaning: April 30, 1839.

Both feature the Roman fasces and are which will be familiar to collectors of the Winged Liberty dime.

Looking at the top left, under Pater is the partial date: 1750; on the top right under Patriae is the remainder of the date: 39, which together reads 1789. I would guess this is a 50th anniversary commemorative medal. I would be curious to know if there is any inscription along the medal's circumferential edge. The top one has a bronze look to it; the bottom, silvery.  Very nice presentation pieces which were clearly preserved with care.

It's commemorating the 50th anniversary of the first inauguration of George Washington (April 30, 1789).

To everyone commenting on my post, Thank You. Now For clarification, I am knowledgeable regarding the Agustus Saint - Gaudens1889 Medal Modeled by Philip Martiny On the Left. The Questions I Pose relate only to the medal on the right Put out by Dieges & Clust, It is the Uniface Medal. The St. Gaudens Medal Picture was posted to show, what I believe is homage to St. Gaudens by Dieges & Clust. The half-length profile portrait of Washington in Continental uniform on the front face of the medal harks back to the authoritative sculptural likenesses of the Pater Patriae by Jean Antoine Houdon. Also to the right are the fasces of majesty, the bundle of staves representing the United States and the axe and blade its military and executive power. Thirteen stars symbolizing the original states are evenly spaced near the edge, just as it is with the St. Gaudens Medal, The Similarities are uncanny if you look closely you will see that on the word Patriae the E hangs on the right leg of the letter A, as it does on the St. Gaudens Medal, I see NO Edge Inscription on the Dieges & Clust Medal. This Medal Also refers to the 1789 Date Relating to the First Presidential Inauguration...... I also found out that Constanzo Luini, was a medalist with Dieges & Clust who specialized in patriotic and religious themes. He was born in the late1800's and a descendant of Bernardino Luini, a fresco painter and student of Leonardo da Vinci. Costanzo immigrated to the United States. He may have been a Student of August Saint-Gaudens or even Philip Martiny? Please Help, As I have seen None Other Like it, Maybe you have?