• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1923 MS67 Peace Dollar New VAM?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2024 at 10:17 AM, Errorists said:

It's on heritage now. But it's obvious I discovered it first. Lol.

...u can put it on ur epitaph....

Look for the variety on VAMworld.

To be credited with a discovery you'll need to write a description and demonstrate to the VAM collectors that it is NOT a known variety. That means posting your write-up on their discussion thread and defending it while members offer comments and their own ideas.

Here are PCGS' photos of both sides:

1923dolPCGS.thumb.jpg.825ebdcd4c52c2f1ec195f51bc0c2f9c.jpg

1923dolrPCGS.thumb.jpg.028c804788d1c9fe5fc570c38c4bf663.jpg

Edited by RWB

On 1/31/2024 at 10:16 AM, RWB said:

Look for the variety on VAMworld.

To be credited with a discovery you'll need to write a description and demonstrate to the VAM collectors that it is NOT a known variety. That means posting your write-up on their discussion thread and defending it while members offer comments and their own ideas.

Here are PCGS' photos of both sides:

1923dolPCGS.thumb.jpg.825ebdcd4c52c2f1ec195f51bc0c2f9c.jpg

1923dolrPCGS.thumb.jpg.028c804788d1c9fe5fc570c38c4bf663.jpg

Thanks for the information.

Die cracks like these are extremely common on Peace dollars, especially on higher mintage dates such as the 1923. I've seen many dated 1922 and 1923 with a thin crack like this across Liberty's neck, and I'm sure that Messrs. Van Allen and Mallis and their successors on the Vam World site have as well.  It's unlikely that such cracks, probably found on a number of well-used obverse dies, would be given a VAM designation.  There are some 1923 VAM-1 (normal dies) subvarieties based on die breaks that are much heavier or thicker than these commonly seen cracks. See http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/1923-P_Die_Breaks.  They are really die states, not die varieties.

As you enjoy finding coins with die cracks like these, you may want to think more about whether it would be desirable for such coins to be designated as die varieties. Presently, you can easily "cherrypick" them from dealers' stocks without paying a premium. If they were given a designation, dealers would demand a premium for them even though they are common.

I agree with Sandon my only thing to add is I do not see a straight grading coin here. The very obvious large hit obv at 7 is a seriously detracting scratch/mark. IMO this coin will receive a DETAILS grade.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 1/31/2024 at 12:33 PM, Sandon said:

Die cracks like these are extremely common on Peace dollars, especially on higher mintage dates such as the 1923. I've seen many dated 1922 and 1923 with a thin crack like this across Liberty's neck, and I'm sure that Messrs. Van Allen and Mallis and their successors on the Vam World site have as well.  It's unlikely that such cracks, probably found on a number of well-used obverse dies, would be given a VAM designation.  There are some 1923 VAM-1 (normal dies) subvarieties based on die breaks that are much heavier or thicker than these commonly seen cracks. See http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/1923-P_Die_Breaks.  They are really die states, not die varieties.

As you enjoy finding coins with die cracks like these, you may want to think more about whether it would be desirable for such coins to be designated as die varieties. Presently, you can easily "cherrypick" them from dealers' stocks without paying a premium. If they were given a designation, dealers would demand a premium for them even though they are common.

Though I like them in uncirculated coins I like the proof ones better.

On 1/31/2024 at 1:30 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

I agree with Sandon my only thing to add is I do not see a straight grading coin here. The very obvious large hit obv at 7 is a seriously detracting scratch/mark. IMO this coin will receive a DETAILS grade.

The smudge between the 1 and 9 looks like another 1 under it. Very interesting. Perhaps, a dropped 1 and struck through.

Edited by Errorists

🐓 :  Say Q... have you anything of pertinence to add to the conversation?

Q.A.:  Is humor permissible?  Good.  Here goes.  While I am unalterably opposed to wanton desecration, i.e., "crack-outs," this is illustrative of the inadvertent damage and unintended consequences that can occur when the novice tries something new without consulting more experienced hands. 🤣

On 1/31/2024 at 4:30 PM, Henri Charriere said:

🐓 :  Say Q... have you anything of pertinence to add to the conversation?

Q.A.:  Is humor permissible?  Good.  Here goes.  While I am unalterably opposed to wanton desecration, i.e., "crack-outs," this is illustrative of the inadvertent damage and unintended consequences that can occur when the novice tries something new without consulting more experienced hands. 🤣

Peace Dollar crack outs. Lol.