• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1944 Jefferson nickel no mint mark on the reverse

11 posts in this topic

That looks like a Henning nickel. Can you show a closer picture of the reverse, oriented correctly, focusing the word "PLURIBUS?"

Sorry. Forgot to say, "Welcome to the forum."

Edited by Just Bob

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

1944 Jefferson nickels without mintmarks are counterfeits made in the 1950s by a man named Henning who ultimately served time in prison for his activities. See Henning Nickel (error-ref.com). Notwithstanding their dubious legal status, there are collectors who seek them. It would be difficult to put a value on them.

Wow it has the crack and the chip. I have been looking for one for 60 years. Nice find. Congrats. It is odd you joined NGC seven years ago and you only have one post.

I have been looking for one of those in my change for 20 years. The others are correct this is a Henning Nickel. As a counterfeit it is amongst the most highly sought after examples of US counterfeit coins because the 5c denomination was so small. This coin however is heavily circulated and worn. The fact that it was heavily circulated shows that the coin was counterfeited reasonably well. Henning had tried many other schemes to counterfeit money prior to him making these coins. Most failed and he was caught. He then decided to make small change 5c counterfeits to try and fly under the radar, but he was noticed by some savvy bank employees that wondered why he was bringing in so many rolls of nickels of the exact same year. Needless to say, things didn't work out for him again and he went to jail for a long, long time never to counterfeit again.

On 1/29/2024 at 8:06 AM, J P M said:

Wow it has the crack and the chip. I have been looking for one for 60 years. Nice find. Congrats. It is odd you joined NGC seven years ago and you only have one post.

Cointalk is inundated with his posts;)

4 Henning nickels found in one roll would is, in a word, mind-blowing.   As to value, I found one place that said up to $90 but that depended on condition and I don't know how old that info was.  Collectors of counterfeits are out there - I have a few but to my regret once let go of a counterfeit Mexican coin.  Like this Henning nickel, the counterfeiter made an error (but in this case, it had to be purposeful).  He copied an original but where the mintmark goes, he put a letter that has never shown as a mintmark on any Mexican coin.  Sometimes counterfeiters do that as an ego thing.  There is a $20 gold piece counterfeit that has something on it from the counterfeiter for the same reason.  If I weren't so old and out of the acquisition phase, I would pay as much as $25 for one in the condition of the one pictured.  I bet a real collector of counterfeits who didn't already have one would pay more than that.story of the henning nickels

On 1/31/2024 at 2:00 PM, Glynn K. said:

4 Henning nickels found in one roll would is, in a word, mind-blowing.   As to value, I found one place that said up to $90 but that depended on condition and I don't know how old that info was.  Collectors of counterfeits are out there - I have a few but to my regret once let go of a counterfeit Mexican coin.  Like this Henning nickel, the counterfeiter made an error (but in this case, it had to be purposeful).  He copied an original but where the mintmark goes, he put a letter that has never shown as a mintmark on any Mexican coin.  Sometimes counterfeiters do that as an ego thing.  There is a $20 gold piece counterfeit that has something on it from the counterfeiter for the same reason.  If I weren't so old and out of the acquisition phase, I would pay as much as $25 for one in the condition of the one pictured.  I bet a real collector of counterfeits who didn't already have one would pay more than that.story of the henning nickels

Four sounds out there a bit far

On 1/30/2024 at 2:38 PM, LOCK34 said:

Cointalk is inundated with his posts;)

And no photos of the coins? 

Hello,

I have never posted any messages. This is my first.

I see that here is actually a collector base out there for counterfeit coins. Unfortunately, several years ago I purchased 3 mercury dimes that were counterfeits. One of those was a 1916-D. I no longer have that coin in my possession as it was used by the secret service in an investigation. I have two remaining in my possession, a 1919-S and a 1926-S. I have held on to them and used them to help educate other collectors. I would consider selling them to someone who collects counterfeits. Note: all 3 coins were encapsulated in (Counterfeit) PCGS Holders.

On 2/1/2024 at 11:31 AM, GJMarsh said:

Hello,

I have never posted any messages. This is my first.

I see that here is actually a collector base out there for counterfeit coins. Unfortunately, several years ago I purchased 3 mercury dimes that were counterfeits. One of those was a 1916-D. I no longer have that coin in my possession as it was used by the secret service in an investigation. I have two remaining in my possession, a 1919-S and a 1926-S. I have held on to them and used them to help educate other collectors. I would consider selling them to someone who collects counterfeits. Note: all 3 coins were encapsulated in (Counterfeit) PCGS Holders.

I don't think anyone is looking for counterfeit coins. It would be cool to find one in circulation is what everyone is referring to. And this OP said he found 4 ?