• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disturbing Trends
1 1

3 posts in this topic

As much as I enjoy bragging all I really need to know I learned in kindergarten (the title of a book by Robert Fulghum) published years ago which may be familiar to older members, the truth is I learn something new every day.

For years I insisted I had no problem with paying taxes.*  But when you're dirt poor, why would you?  If my wife and I do absolutely nothing at all come April 15th, as certified paupers we lose the $63 each of us would be entitled to. Big deal. Maybe this year I will try doing my "taxes" on-line. What've I got to lose?

* I did not have a problem with taxes until eBay jumped into the act. I sent for the forms, got them, read them, and decided I did not like them.  One of the reasons I gift numismatic items to members here, which I do irrespective of religious, personal and political beliefs, etc. is due in part to two mutually exclusive things:  One, I paid taxes on those items, and Two:  if I (already) know I will not be getting anything close to what I paid for them plus tax, insurance, postage, etc., I would rather make someone happy and give it away. Yes, even if it means re-using paper cups.

Disturbing Trend # 2:  Sellers or dealers who list certified coins -- complete with a glimpse of prongs without a grade, coupled with a No Return Policy.  Where does this leave the Set Registrant? Unless, of course, there is something on that paper insert which a potential buyer could use a bargaining point.

Disturbing Trend # 3:  Several years ago, @Conder101 did me a favor. He wrote in and boldly proclaimed what FedEx had done on CBPs behest -- "forcing" me to fill out four pages of paperwork and demanding a $33 fee within five days or the shipment comprised of three of the finest, certified French 20-franc gold roosters known to civilized man would be returned forthwith -- was highly irregular and contrary to law (the pertinent part of which he provided with chapter and verse.)  Due to time constraints, I paid the ransom. I did not appreciate being cross-examined by people I did not know who politely but firmly demanded my FULL LEGAL NAME, RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. Whatever the reason, by their intrusive, personal questioning I was left with the impression that they were convinced others were involved and I was an unwitting participant.  Interested viewers may wish to refer to a current listing on eBay, entitled:  "20 francs gold coin 1908."  It represents what I deem to be the perfect lising with good reviews and fine photography which can be magnified to the extent that what appears at first blush to be an unretouched MS-70 coin, is plagued with some truly unfortunate surface strikes.  Of interest, however, is not an inflated price or country to be shipped from, Romania, but a virtual dissertation on the international fees a buyer may be expected to pay based on carrier used and any other number of variables.  Lately, it seems, some of the big-name purveyors of quality coins have abandoned certification, though coins already encapsulated are still being sold, but it appears to me an inordinate emphasis is being made to get buyers to know that other fees on our end is likelier than it once once.

If anyone can confirms my worst suspicions with his own experience, please feel free to do so.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die-polishing

Mailed State & Federal 1040s, Certified Mail, Friday afternoon.

Already both have arrived at their destination Distribution Centers.

Owed close to $1,000 total.

Lots of hours of re-familiarization and $30 for printing, Certified Mail, gasoline.