• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point.t Discrepancies
1 1

8 posts in this topic

On 1/28/2024 at 10:31 AM, MEMCollector said:

Whe are there discrepancies between Coin Explorer points and those assigned in collections foe the same coin?

It would help if you can provide a specific example.   However one possibility is that many coins are given different scores in date/mm sets vs that same coin when used in type sets.  

Thanks. Points in Coin Explorer for 1913 Type 1 MS68 Buffako are 6248  but points assigned in Nickel Type set are 3639. How foes one build a registry set without knowing accurate points score before acquiring a coin?

You can easily determine the eligible coins for each slot and the number of points for each such coin in every grade. Just left click "See Coins" in any empty slot under the "Points" column for the slot. You can also click the point number in the same column for a filled slot.  You can do this for your own or other members' sets.  You can also get this information for an entire set category by viewing the list of "Competing Sets" in that category and clicking "See Eligible Coins".

On 1/28/2024 at 2:18 PM, MEMCollector said:

Thanks. Points in Coin Explorer for 1913 Type 1 MS68 Buffako are 6248  but points assigned in Nickel Type set are 3639. How foes one build a registry set without knowing accurate points score before acquiring a coin?

As I suspected, type set scores are set differently by NGC I really don't know how NGC arrived at the points they award in type sets or the logic behind setting those point scores lower than what the coin explorer shows.   I seem to recall one of the registry team members saying the type set points are awarded as if you are using the most common coin in the series.   But that doesn't always line up with what the explorer pages show either so its a mystery.   Often times it makes absolutely no sense to me and I wish they would just use the points that are shown on the explorer as well, but they don't.   Perhaps @Ali E. would be willing to shed some light on this issue.

As @Sandon mentioned most of the time you can see the points that will be awarded if you follow his instructions before you buy a coin to fill a type set slot.   I say most of the time as in some instances; especially if the registry set is a new set; if no one has entered an eligible coin into an existing set it may not have a score available to be displayed for a few coins.    In those cases, you might have to contact one of the registry team members for a score.

Edited by Coinbuf

I really appreciate  the feedback and discussion. It just makes no sense to me that the same coin should thrive different scores depending on what type of set it is in. Especially if type set coins receive the score of the lowest coin in the slot.

This would do nothing to promote excellevce in type set building.

Type collectors usually focus on obtaining one coin of each type in the best possible condition and, accordingly, usually choose a common date that is more available in high grades. Date and mint collectors seek to complete sets of one or more chosen types that include rare issues that may be virtually (or actually) unobtainable in the highest grades. It usually makes sense, therefore, that type sets in the registry are scored exclusively for the grade of the coin and relative rarity of the entire type, while for date and mint sets the score for each issue is based on a combination of the rarity of that issue and the grade of the coin. Otherwise, true type collectors with beautiful high-grade pieces wouldn't be able to compete in the registry with date and mint collectors (like me) who could assemble "type sets" out of key date issues in much lower grades.

NGC might consider an exception for certain specialized type sets, such as the "New Orleans Type Set, 1838-1909, One Per Denomination" in which both @Coinbuf and I participate. Most type coins that were struck in New Orleans are much harder to find than coins of the same type from other mints, the one notable exception being the Morgan dollar.  Some types were only made in New Orleans for a single year's issue and are rare. One such coin is the 1839-O half dollar, of which I have an uncertified example with full Very Fine details that would almost certainly be details graded as "cleaned".  (The 1838-O is an extreme rarity that is "noncompetitive" in date and mint sets.)  Scored as a type coin, the coin would only be worth 273 points, while in a Capped Bust date set it would be worth 654 points and might be worth submitting.

First, I really appreciate the useful and informative responses to my post. I must respectfully disagree that type collectors are somehow a different tribe from date/mint collectors. There is a huge overlap. Further if a type collector wishes to pursue a collection of more common coins. Having all type coin scores reduced to the lowest common denominator does nothing to help them accomplish that goal. All it does is make rarer sets indistinguishable from more common ones.