• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crown 1847 Victoria Gothic coin price
2 2

86 posts in this topic

I don't believe anything was "lost" or "misplaced" in the age of computers.

I don't know if this is premature or not, but I would contact the Numismatic Crime Information Center (NCIC) on the proper procedure on how to report this. They have a website: numismaticcrimes.org.  They disseminate information to dealers and others nationwide  

With the USPS, they've got their postal inspectors, but I do not know where jurisdiction lies with FedEx. A claim at this point suggests an investigation was conducted but came up empty-handed.  I don't know why but I am taking this very personally I guess because this could have happened to me. I expect to be near a FedEx location either tomorrow or Saturday.  I'll see what I can find out what an "investigation" entails and exactly what insurance options are available.  The clerk, whom I have done business with previously -- she downloaded the Customs forms for me from my phone for free when my shipment was kidnapped -- is very knowledgeable and experienced.  I am also going to ask for a copy of their claim form if one is available.  I urge you to contact NCIC. I don't accept this shabby treatment.  Maybe it's time I fully understood the policies and procedures of these ground and air transportation services.

On 2/15/2024 at 5:38 PM, zadok said:

...fedex insurance does not cover rare coins regardless of declared value....

Yet another reason why NGC using FedEx as a default shipper is irresponsible bordering on criminal. Typical of private equity “suits”. Screw the customer in all ways possible.

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/15/2024 at 6:38 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I don't know if this is premature or not, but I would contact the Numismatic Crime Information Center (NCIC) on the proper procedure on how to report this. They have a website: numismaticcrimes.org.  They disseminate information to dealers and others nationwide  

They require a police report filed first. 

On 2/15/2024 at 10:38 PM, VKurtB said:

Yet another reason why NGC using FedEx as a default shipper is irresponsible bordering on criminal. Typical of private equity “suits”. Screw the customer in all ways possible.

...most dealers n advanced collectors use private third party insurers n use fedex just as the means of getting it there, fedex much more dependable than usps n usps claims r insane to process....

As promised, I dropped in on a FedEx location in Union Square, New York, and asked to speak to the manager.  While they went and got him, I noticed a sign posted on the counter stating effective immediately, the "money back" guarantee for each of eight enumerated services, ground, air, int'l, etc., had been suspended until further notice..  So it seems their popular "absolutely positively" line has been quietly retired.

Lacking specific information on your shipment, I posed a hypothetical and also brought up the matter of insurance. He reached for the company's Bible, a leather- bound, gilt-edged manual, and discovered first, that contrary to what another member asserted as fact, FedEx does in fact provide insurance for specific items shipped.  Coins and collectibles may be insured for up to $1000, regardless of actual value, if requested at point of embarkation. I asked to see a sample claim form, but was told one can only be obtained thru Customer Service (via phone).

I asked him to define "misplaced," "lost," "missing," and "stolen," but understandably, he demurred saying investigations are initiated at the point the package was last scanned.  I asked him if all shipments were sent to their hub in Memphis where parcels are sorted before being sent on their way.  He could not respond definitively.

I wonder whether there may be a member (actually I know there are) who can advise what service they routinely use, and why.  (He confirmed FedEx has an arrangement with USPS to hand off a shipment for final delivery to a Post Office Box.) On int'l deliveries cgb.fr uses their own private shipper with whom they contract shipments they insure.  Checking my invoice morgue, which contains all packages emanating from overseas, the one thing that stands out is a bi-lingual stamp that reads "Priority Document."  (I am an exception: I send cash and coins thru the mail, uninsured.)

Keep us informed of further developments...

...for those that cant read nor understand normal grammar...fedex does not provide insurance coverage for items on their  "prohibited" list... the first item listed is "collectible coins"....

Edited by zadok
spacing

On 2/16/2024 at 3:47 PM, CIII said:

Prayers sent.  Yes, prayers.

...a coin god/godess?...athena?...who knew?....

On 2/16/2024 at 2:42 PM, zadok said:

...for those that cant read nor understand normal grammar...fedex does not provide insurance coverage for items on their  "prohibited" list... the first item listed is "collectible coins"....

Nyet comrade, nyet!

Balderdash!  Whomever is paying you off to stalk me isn't getting bang for their buck.

Every clerk in every post office as well as air and ground delivery service, recites by rote, a litany of prohibited items which includes explosives, unstable chemical compounds, volatile gases, fireworks, hazardous materials, unlawful and illegal controlled substances as listed on the five Federal schedules  etc.

Furthermore, if the three Top Pop gold roosters shipped by FedEx from an overseas location and seized by Customs and Border Patrol at EWR and subsequently conclusively identified as unarmed collectibles which posed no threat to life, limb and health were prohibited, under no circumstances would they have been green-lighted for delivery and that, in a nutshell, is how I was able to dethrone the # 1 set registrant of my series on the West coast.

Our concern should be focused on the whereabouts of a fellow member's coin. All else is white noise.

On 2/16/2024 at 11:42 AM, zadok said:

2024 Shipping Guide (page 138): Declared value and limits of liability, Section F, Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of US$1,000:, part 11, Collector’s items such as coins, stamps, sports cards, souvenirs, and memorabilia.

Odd they'd have a $1,000 limit of liability for a prohibited item. Especially odd since in the guide they say they have zero liability for prohibited items. ???

Their first prohibited item is "Cash and currency" not "collectible coins". This is in reference to modern day cash, not collectibles. 

On 2/16/2024 at 5:26 PM, gmarguli said:

2024 Shipping Guide (page 138): Declared value and limits of liability, Section F, Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of US$1,000:, part 11, Collector’s items such as coins, stamps, sports cards, souvenirs, and memorabilia.

Odd they'd have a $1,000 limit of liability for a prohibited item. Especially odd since in the guide they say they have zero liability for prohibited items. ???

Their first prohibited item is "Cash and currency" not "collectible coins". This is in reference to modern day cash, not collectibles. 

...keep reading...u will eventually get to where it states collectible coins as well...there r diff sections for declared value n for insurability....

On 2/16/2024 at 4:20 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Nyet comrade, nyet!

Balderdash!  Whomever is paying you off to stalk me isn't getting bang for their buck.

Every clerk in every post office as well as air and ground delivery service, recites by rote, a litany of prohibited items which includes explosives, unstable chemical compounds, volatile gases, fireworks, hazardous materials, unlawful and illegal controlled substances as listed on the five Federal schedules  etc.

Furthermore, if the three Top Pop gold roosters shipped by FedEx from an overseas location and seized by Customs and Border Patrol at EWR and subsequently conclusively identified as unarmed collectibles which posed no threat to life, limb and health were prohibited, under no circumstances would they have been green-lighted for delivery and that, in a nutshell, is how I was able to dethrone the # 1 set registrant of my series on the West coast.

Our concern should be focused on the whereabouts of a fellow member's coin. All else is white noise.

...narrow mind, narrow vision...ur not on anyone's radar except ur own...again classic textbook...sad....

On 2/15/2024 at 10:38 PM, VKurtB said:

For many years (decades), FedX was the Gold Standard for fast shipping.

This is theft from the inside.

On 2/16/2024 at 5:26 PM, gmarguli said:

....Their first prohibited item is "Cash and currency" not "collectible coins". This is in reference to modern day cash, not collectibles. 

Precisely.  I put my stock in you because you routinely engage in transactions that involve volume unlike the back-pedaling four-flusher, a self-described scrap/junk dealer who speaks in broad generalities, does not cite specific sources of information and fails to realize the impetus for prohibiting cash and currency transactions was to address the demand side of drug trafficking and not Johnnie and his modest Indian Head cent collectibles of numismatic value.

He offers no explanation as to why the delivery by FedEx of a shipment of coins, he deems are first on the list of "prohibited" items was cleared for delivery to me choosing to resort to personal attacks as a defense mechanism instead.

I did not call FedEx. I made an unannounced visit in person and spoke to a manager. I was shown their operating manual. I do not know that a police report can be filed nor in what jurisdiction, in the absence of knowledge that criminal activity was involved and where it is alleged to have taken place. Hopefully, the OP will apprise us of future developments.

Roughly speaking, to obtain my 14 coin collection, mailings of various coins — to and from me — occurred 50 times, and there was never a problem.  A few of my mailings involved coins of considerable expense.  For these reasons, I find it difficult to believe that victor382 has experienced his coin getting lost or stolen.

Looking through my paperwork of purchases, it looks like when I returned coins I didn't like, I always used USPS Registered Mail.

There was one time that a package took longer to be delivered on one of my returns, and I wondered if someone may have stolen it.

The package did turn up eventually, but it was a little unnerving until it did.  It was when using a Priority Mail Flat Rate Small Box, and adding Registered Mail, and Insurance.

After that experience, I considered going up to the Priority Mail Flat Rate Medium Box that USPS offers, instead of the Small Box, but a copy of an enclosed letter to the dealer I made a return to shows "it costs much more to mail the medium box with Registered and Insured, too."

One thing I like about USPS is they're a proud bunch of people.  Their history goes way back:  old-time engraved postage stamps:  Regular Mail, Air Mail, Special Delivery, Priority Mail, and all the while delivering the mail daily throughout their existence.

NEITHER SNOW NOR RAIN NOR HEAT NOR GLOOM OF NIGHT STAYS THESE COURIERS FROM THE SWIFT COMPLETION OF THEIR APPOINTED ROUNDS

(unabashedly, I guess I had to get the Tay-Tay "plug" in)  lol

On 2/17/2024 at 11:43 AM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Roughly speaking, to obtain my 14 coin collection, mailings of various coins — to and from me — occurred 50 times, and there was never a problem.  A few of my mailings involved coins of considerable expense.  For these reasons, I find it difficult to believe that victor382 has experienced his coin getting lost or stolen....

You find it "difficult to believe," but nowhere have you mentioned any of your mailings specifically involving FedEx. That's at the heart of the matter here.

These postal employees, on both sides of the aisle, public and private, engage in a practice I disapprove of:  wearing earbuds (Bluetooth?) that makes conversing with them difficult and delivering a distraction.  I have seen boxes fall of their dollies they are oblivious to because, facing forward, they did not see or hear them fall. As with anything else, I have to accept a posted topic at face value. I know if it were my coin, I would be heartbroken, doubly so if I were a newbie and submitting for the first time.  I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

On 2/16/2024 at 10:03 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I would hesitate to characterize this as "theft" in the absence of hard facts. What I would like to know is whether there are any markings [beyond a barcode for scanning] on the exterior of a package that would indicate there is something of value inside. This, to me, is key.

On 2/16/2024 at 5:38 PM, zadok said:

...keep reading...u will eventually get to where it states collectible coins as well...there r diff sections for declared value n for insurability....

Rather than us search for something that may not exist, just post a link to what you reference. 

@gmarguli : Respectfully,

A comprehensive "List of Prohibited and Restricted Items for Shipping," can be accessed for FedEx, UPS and USPS on the internet.

I typed in "prohibited items fedex," (20 finger strokes; 20 seconds) and the results were instantaneous and extensive.  On UPS, they are listed from A to Z.  A was ammunition. B was Bank bills, notes or currency (other than coin). and so on.  It's clear and unambiguous.

On 2/17/2024 at 7:32 PM, J P M said:

All the coins I have purchased have all been sent USPS. No one uses Fed Ex that I buy from.

Who's going to mess with J.P. Morgan?  🤣

On 2/17/2024 at 6:32 PM, J P M said:

All the coins I have purchased have all been sent USPS. No one uses Fed Ex that I buy from.

NGC does. That’s the problem.

On 2/16/2024 at 9:03 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

FedEx is incompetent. Remember, they “lost” my last NGC order and then it was returned to NGC. They have REAL competence of personnel issues. United States Postal Service Registered Mail is the shipping “gold standard”. Everything else is a poor substitute. 

Edited by VKurtB

I have my own theories and suspicions with the wayward parcel.  Nothing is definite yet.  Are the FedEx offices and transit hubs equipped with surveillance cameras?  My biggest fear is any loss, insured up to a nominal amount, if unaccounted for, is treated as a cost of doing business. Too many possibilities.  I hope to see feedback.

On 2/17/2024 at 5:02 PM, gmarguli said:

Rather than us search for something that may not exist, just post a link to what you reference. 

[Note to file... let the foregoing record reflect the fact that subject is unable or unwilling to accede to a simple and reasonable request to substantiate his assertion or otherwise cite the source of his information.]

To the OP:  I was wondering whether you had any new developments to report...