• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crown 1847 Victoria Gothic coin price
2 2

86 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2024 at 2:43 PM, victor382 said:

Hi guys! Please help me with the price for this one. Thank you much!

IMG_1225.jpeg

IMG_1226.jpeg

First things first, is it a counterfeit? According to NGC this is the 9th most counterfeited coin.!

It looks like it has the "die lump" in the right place and the details seem sharp, idk, the obv seems flat and lifeless. I'm leaning towards it not being authentic, just doesn't look quite right to me. 

Others will jump in soon. Hope I'm wrong. (thumbsu

On 1/27/2024 at 7:37 PM, victor382 said:

Is it 100% fake in your opinion?

Cannot tell from the photos. Also need weight, diameter,thickness, etc.

There are a few very high quality counterfeits but they are seldom seen. Off-hand nothing jumps out. Here's an authentic 1847 from a Heritage auction.

Gothic.thumb.jpg.3a9c4f620be0eedabf52775980c9c21e.jpg

Gothicr.thumb.jpg.2508b323d146c56abd5dbbd68eb79da4.jpg

Edited by RWB

Thanks, man.  The size and weight seem to be right. It sounds like the only way to determine the authenticity is to bring it to the pro.

JAPAN!  :whatthe: 

And if "the pro" you consult says, "No go," then what?  What enquiring minds would want to know is how can you proceed with an overseas buy without knowing exactly what you're buying and its Fair Market Value?

Was this purchased from an individual or a reputable firm with stellar reviews?

Does he (do they) have a Return policy if not completely satisfied?  How did you determine if the price was right?  (Prices run higher, much higher in Japan.)

Submission for Certification, while a personal choice, entails cost.  That is a decision that can await informal authentication and depends on a number of factors.  I do hope, with pending feedback, you make out swimmingly well.

Note:  while I have been unsuccessful in attempting to secure an English  translation to "tuaeiur unita deus," I have been provided various translations in French to:  "noni soit qui mal  y pense," which appears in the dead center of the reverse example member RWB has provided from H.A. auctions (which appears to depart from the posted  O.P.s coin.)

As the same quote differs with context used, I have taken the liberty of providing at least three which.members may not be familiar with.  The various expressions used symbolizes the Order of the Garter, and ancient order of Knigthood of which the Queen is Sovereign:  

a).  "Shame on him who evil thinks."

b)."Shamed be (the person) who thinks evil of it."

c).  "Evil to him who thinks evil of it, ithe motto of the garters."

"honi," an archaic term, used depending on context, is variously defined as  "shamed, disgrace and dishonor". To emphasize his point King Charles donned a garter to drive hom his point.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Minor die polishing;

On 1/27/2024 at 8:36 PM, victor382 said:

Thanks, man.  The size and weight seem to be right. It sounds like the only way to determine the authenticity is to bring it to the pro.

If you know someone who specializes or is extremely familiar with these I would definitely take it to them. If you're talking about having this authenticated by a TPG that is also a good option if you're relatively certain it's authentic. If you lived near a TPG and could hand deliver it I'd say it'd be a no brainer, put a low dollar value on it and let them decide if it's real. If you're looking to sell it then you could talk with some of the major auction houses to see what they think.

"tueatur unita deus" = God protects those who are united

"noni soit qui mal y pense" = no one thinks badly about it

Look for initials "WW" at lower right obverse:

1847-Gothic-Crown-William-Wyon-Detail-Initials.jpg.6933c592bd092e423fca81c8df6bd0d9.jpg

[Photo from "The Gothic Crown: Victorian Art and the Road to Decimalisation"]

Edited by RWB

Send your coin to NGC for authentication. The photo suggests at value of about $10,000 if genuine.

Good. That can be a difficult area to copy when making fakes.

Best to send it to NGC for in-hand evaluation.

Good Luck!

Based upon the photos submitted, wear appears to be present on a localized area of the obverse of your piece (headband above forelock) but the piece is exquisite and deserves to be encapsulated for posterity.  I have never seen one before and it is clear great pains were taken to maintain its lovely state of preservation. Do let us know the outcome.

In this instance, I don't want to guess from the photos.

(I have a proof purchased long ago, but it's sitting in a bank box along with my supply of original Skippy Peanut Butter and a fifth of "Ole Pappy.")

Hi, RWB! Your reputation will be solid no matter what. I think it is fake. Just 2 good 2 B true. Tomorrow I'll show this coin to the man and see what he has to say. Im ready for anything.

On 1/31/2024 at 9:35 PM, victor382 said:

Hi, RWB! Your reputation will be solid no matter what. I think it is fake. Just 2 good 2 B true. Tomorrow I'll show this coin to the man and see what he has to say. Im ready for anything.

To be fair about it, I see some things of concern, but so has RWB, and I can vouch for the fact that the excitability factor your coin has elicited from him is noteworthy -- and he owns one and if he had seen anything untoward, you, me, and everybody else lurking about would know about it.  The deal-makers for me are intricate craftsmanship down to the sharply incused W.W. which, depending on how much of a problem counterfeiting was, would not be as noticeable as a V.D.B. cent.  And I don't mean on a 1909. That was prominent enough to authorize a re-design. I am talking about the majority of cents which bear, with a few exceptions, the designer's initials on Lincoln's shoulder. It's not something one would ordinarily notice kind of like the rather inconspicuous micro-printed FW on U.S. currency printed by the BEP's facility at Fort Worth, Texas. I believe your average person is unaware that not all paper money is printed in W, D.C.

As regarding your lovely coin, I'm going to be "all-in" like Jeopardy's James Holzhauer!

Hello Henry!  I appreciate your big heart and  support. But with all freaking modern technology you really never know what you are dealing with. I am glad that I can reach to this community and have your opinions - that is the most valuable asset one czz as n hope for. Like-minded people! Thanks again. 

Hi, guys. I don’t know what to think. I took the coin to this place today https://www.wittercoin.com/

The man checked metal with some kind of Star Wars like weapon, got the weight, looked thru magnifying glass, compared with some reference in his laptop and said that the coin is authentic. I asked twice as I could not believe my ears. So I think he just does not know what is he talking about. I’m just speechless

After reviewing their website, it appears they specialize in Gold, U.S. coinage. It would be helpful to post specifics on specs you have come to learn about. Authenticity is one key encouraging development.  Soldier on!

Hi Henry. I did not ask any specifics, cause I was in state of disbelief. He just said that silver probe and parameters are as they should be. Thanks! 

On 2/1/2024 at 3:58 PM, victor382 said:

Hi, guys. I don’t know what to think. I took the coin to this place today https://www.wittercoin.com/

The man checked metal with some kind of Star Wars like weapon, got the weight, looked thru magnifying glass, compared with some reference in his laptop and said that the coin is authentic. I asked twice as I could not believe my ears. So I think he just does not know what is he talking about. I’m just speechless

He might have done all he could with the equipment and references available. That reinforces the desirability of sending the coin to NGC. They have resources and experience that Witter Coin's staff do not. Let us all know how it turns out.

(The "Star Wars like weapon" was probably a portable XRF (X-ray fluorescence) gun for measuring alloy composition without damaging the coin. Most look like an electric hand drill with a tiny TV screen.)