• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1990 D Roosevelt dime might be die cut?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

hi, thank you for taking your time to look at my question have a Roosevelt Dime 1990 that just seems like there’s a lot going on. double ear two D mint marks, is that a die cut with his hair?  Iif you could take a look at it and give me some advice really appreciate it. 

IMG_1062.jpeg

IMG_1061.jpeg

IMG_1064.jpeg

IMG_1063.jpeg

Edited by Debwitt
found more questions

All I see is a worn dime with some damage.   
There is only one mint mark and not a doubled ear. Not sure what a “die cut with his hair “ is.

There is nothing of any numismatic value or interest showing on your coin.   A touch of worthless strike doubling and a lot of circulation damage is all, its worth the cents spend it wisely.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 1/24/2024 at 12:48 PM, Debwitt said:

double ear ... is that a die cut with his hair?

I don't think it's a double ear or damaged die.  The area behind the ear going down to the neckline just looks like a hit or discolored area.

On 1/24/2024 at 12:48 PM, Debwitt said:

two D mint marks

Maybe you mean the area to the right and slightly higher than the "D" mintmark.  That's not another mintmark and just looks like another hit or discolored area.

Screenshot_20240124-153413_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

I think there may be a strike through from a foreign substance in the die. I see a depression running from the back of the ear to the base of the neck (not in a straight line but more wavy like it could have been a piece of thread or wire or something) and then if it turned it could also explain the piece of the rim that is missing. I don't see the metal piled up along the sides of the depression as would be if something larger hit it and displaced some of the metal to the sides. I also don't see another mint mark as that just looks like a hit to me.

I have several Roosevelt dimes with strike throughs and I think they are more common than some think it to be. Being the head, neck, and rim are raised details higher than the date, it could be a possibility. If it were to be, however, do not expect to get a wild premium or even a modest premium for it. As I said, I have several from cash register change that are in NGC holders and only one of them might be worth a modest premium because both sides are struck through which is less common.

It's not like a deep scratch or gouge where metal is going to clearly pile up on either side, and I can't imagine anything that could end up on the dies which could produce that irregular semicircular shape.