• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Jefferson nickel weight 4.8
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Please forgive my naïveness on the subject, but I have a Jefferson nickel pictures attached that weigh 4.8 I know Nickel’s is supposed to weigh five. Is this a common thing? It doesn’t look like it has it a bunch of wear and tear. If you could give me your opinion I’d be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1051.jpeg

IMG_1052.jpeg

IMG_1050.jpeg

5.0 is just an average. There is a +- tolerance of .19 g on quarters so anywhere between 4.81g and 5.19g is acceptable.

Your scale only goes to one decimal point ( if you are going to weigh coins, a scale to at least two decimals is necessary) so it is probably within spec taking the wear into account.

Edited by Greenstang

Is the scale calibrated with a known weight?  That and the accuracy of the scale may be 0.1g, which is not very accurate for use with coins.  So it could be a 5.00g coin that just reads slightly under on that scale.

Hello and welcome!

It could have been a little underweight to begin with when it was struck and still within mint tolerance, but with the additional heavy wear (this coin has not severe wear, but heavy wear) it surely will be showing as underweight on a scale. I would say there is nothing out of the ordinary with this coin and it is just heavily worn.