• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today's Coin Find
1 1

5 posts in this topic

This coin has seen 80 years of circulation so I cannot say for sure. It looks to be a minor clip on this coin. It has a taper to the rim and the strike is week on the reverse. Again, not a coin worth much more than two cents

S20240121_0001.jpg

S20240121_0002.jpg

S20240121_0003.jpg

Well, there's straight clips and curved clips. This one looks straight but also looks a little "ragged" to me. It also looks like some of the metal was pushed around (I get that there is wear) especially on the obverse. I would lean towards damage. I also don't see even a faint Blakesley effect on what I can see of the reverse (I get that it is not a necessity with clips but something to check for).

What is to note, however, is that there was a discussion shortly ago about not finding any wheat cents in circulation which I discounted and here we have another.

On 1/23/2024 at 2:18 PM, powermad5000 said:

Well, there's straight clips and curved clips. This one looks straight but also looks a little "ragged" to me. It also looks like some of the metal was pushed around (I get that there is wear) especially on the obverse. I would lean towards damage. I also don't see even a faint Blakesley effect on what I can see of the reverse (I get that it is not a necessity with clips but something to check for).

What is to note, however, is that there was a discussion shortly ago about not finding any wheat cents in circulation which I discounted and here we have another.

Ya if it was a clip it has gone way past its prime. The only thing that made me look was the way the rim on the obverse tapered and thinned out, but it is most likely damage.

My guess is damage from something grabbing the coin edge.  I don't see any fishtailing with detail fadeout progressing towards the edge or a rounded tapering of the  rim.  I also don’t see indications of the Blakesley Effect, but they are not full coin pics.  Really slacking on the coin pics today JP.  :baiting: (:

On 1/23/2024 at 2:36 PM, EagleRJO said:

My guess is damage from something grabbing the coin edge.  I don't see any fishtailing with detail fadeout progressing towards the edge or a rounded tapering of the  rim.  I also don’t see indications of the Blakesley Effect, but they are not full coin pics.  Really slacking on the coin pics today JP.  :baiting: (:

Ya it is a quite cold rainy day.