• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1990 p dime with unusual looking date
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Nothing about the date looks unusual to me.  Do you have a 1990-dated dime with what you consider a "normal" date to post for comparison? 

I don't think the coin has been broadstruck which if it were, would not have much of an effect on the overall details. I have a handful of broadstruck coins that have the details completely intact. It looks like it might have been struck with a late stage set of dies that had a higher level of die deterioration but I don't see anything very unusual about it.

I also don't think the coin was broadstruck, meaning struck without a collar as the diameter appears correct.  And what is "slightly broad struck" as either the collar is in place or its not related to that error.  Thats kinda like being "slightly" pregnant. (:

https://www.error-ref.com/broadstrikes/

The date doesn’t really look "odd" comparing it to an MS example, except for some minor wear/hits to the characters as well as the "0" being jammed up against the rim a bit.  Looks like the dies may have moved a tinny bit during hubbing or striking.  But nothing to write home about.

I am curious about what may be a fishtailed or fadeout area above the head, with what looks like rounded tapering of the rims.  If that looks exactly the same on the reverse it might be a minor clipped planchet.  But I would need clear cropped pics of both sides not in the bag to check that out.

Screenshot_20240122-022459_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Don’t know how a coin can be “slightly “ broadstruck, it either is or isn’t.   
I see nothing unusual about the OP’s dime. Die wear and circulation wear
can make minor changes to appearances. 

On 1/22/2024 at 2:44 AM, EagleRJO said:

I am curious about what may be a fishtailed or fadeout area above the head, with what looks like rounded tapering of the rims.

I think you may just be seeing the reflection of light coming off of the plastic bag giving the appearance there is some type of anomaly at the top of the dime.

On 1/22/2024 at 11:58 AM, powermad5000 said:

I think you may just be seeing the reflection of light coming off of the plastic bag giving the appearance there is some type of anomaly at the top of the dime.

That may be the case as there are some reflections off the plastic, but maybe @Edwardram can confirm that.