• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1989 p dime with multiple errors possibly?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

On the obverse and reverse it’s very blurry and grainy looking. At the bottom of the obverse it looks clipped and with a little extra filled in dye that continues to the reverse side. On the reverse it raises several letters. There clear to see and read just perpetrating a bit. On the middle of the reverse right dead center looks to be a planchet crack. But not sure on all of these things to be honest. Tried doing as much research ,myself as possible. Let me know what you see and think I got here. Thanks. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

There is nothing on that dime that can’t be attributed to damage.
Even if there was an error, in that condition there would be no premium.  
Not sure what research you are doing, are you checking out sites such as  error-ref.com.  
to see what real errors look like. 

On 1/18/2024 at 2:42 AM, Edwardram said:

At the bottom of the obverse it looks clipped ...

As a follow up there are three basic things to look for when trying to identify a clipped planchet error.

1. A fadeout or fishtailing of details on both sides of the coin moving towards the missing portion from the middle
  2. A rounded tapering of the rim moving towards the missing portion along the edge
  3. Weak rims and details near the rim on the opposing side of the coin from the missing portion called the "Blakesley Effect" 

Note that the Blakesley Effect may not be evident with larger coins or a minor clip.  The article at the following link is one of the better ones I have seen about identifying true clipped planchets with the diagnostics explained.

https://www.australian-coins.com/error-coins/how-to-determine-if-a-clipped-planchet-error-is-real/

Edited by EagleRJO