• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint error
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new here,I have a 2016 Theodore Roosevelt Quarter it has something on the horse upper leg. I was told it's a mint made error and if so what kind of error is it. And should it be graded.

IMG_20231220_145628830.jpg

IMG_20231220_145400013.jpg

Who told you it's a mint error without being able to tell what type of error?  In any event the line with two half circles looks incuse, or cut into the coin.  In that case it's either struck-through or something stamped on the coin.

I can't imagine anything which could end up on the dies during striking that would look like that, so it may be something stamped on the coin after it left the mint.  Also let us know if that's something raised on the coin which would change things.

Hello and welcome!

If you are referring to the spot at the top of the leg near the rope, it looks like two incuse indents to me which looks like it took a hit to me which is not a mint error. If I may inquire, who told you this was an error made by the Mint? Was it a coin shop?

This coin in its condition regardless of error or not is not a candidate for submission.

The coin is actually in good shape, like 65, and no it's not a stamp like one of those 1969 penny I have with the extra head. And yes it's raised.

On 1/18/2024 at 1:45 AM, C.j.4 said:

... yes it's raised

If that mark on the upper leg is raised then is likely the result of a minor damaged die as it's not a clash with that shape or location.  Probably something like a piece of metal from the press or another coin got on the die and caused an indentation of the die in that shape.  Mostly likely just a curiosity find.

Would you take a closeup of that area. To me it looks like a hit from the reeding from another coin.   
There would be a raised area from the displacement of the metal. In any case, it would certainly not    
be worth spending $55-60.00 to get graded.   
Not sure why anyone who new anything about coins would tell you it was an error.

The mark on the horse's leg is a "milling mark" from the reeded edge of another coin striking this coin after being ejected from the coinage press into the container below the press or possibly when it was in a mint bag with thousands of other coins.  This is not considered a mint error and would lower the grade of the coin.  The coin also shows wear from circulation and is worth face value. 

Sand on just beat me to it.  
The new closeup photos just confirm what I had suspected earlier, it is damage from a hit
of the reeding of another coin.They are called bag marks.

I agree those new pics show something different, and the horizontal area is not raised.  You have to be careful with descriptions to get accurate information.

Those are indentations with only the two curved areas raised where the metal has pushed up from a hit.  Just damage as noted.