• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Misprint Dime
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please provide upright photos of each side of this 2019-D Roosevelt dime that are cropped to show the coin to the greatest extent possible and not the surface on which it sits.  Based on what I can see so far, the coin has just been severely damaged after it left the mint and is not a mint error. 

Hello and welcome!

First off, coins are struck not printed. Paper money is printed. Stamps are printed. Coins are struck.

Your photo is not cropped, and you also do not show the reverse of the coin, but from what I can tell, there looks like an indentation coming from the reverse of the coin and the coin itself looks to me intentionally damaged as I also see some very heavy crisscrossing scratches across the obverse. Once a coin is severely damaged, I do not think it is worth the time to try to figure out how the damage came to be. I think that time would be spent more wisely learning more or searching for coins in superior shape.

Welcome to the forum, just a damaged coin.   Some damage we can call out when it is decipherable, but this is just random damage that could have come from any number of things, intentional or not.

In the future please provide cropped photos of both sides of the coin when you have a question.

Thanks for the quick response and for the welcome..  I expected it was just damaged but after I discovered this forum I thought I would just check.  I'm going through a bunch of old coins from family members that have passed, so I'll remember to crop and send both sides of the coin next time.  I have a collector book of old pennies dated back to the early 1900s and also indian head pennies from back then also. I'm in the process of logging all the info for them.