• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today's Coin Find
2 2

14 posts in this topic

here i've been trying to find someone that knows these coins..i've had this for around ten years. i was tearing a house down on a ranch that was founded in 1847 it was the first ranch in Texas to have barb wire anyways  i was told the obverse is BB-52 and they used a BB-51 on the reverse if anyone could shine some light on it i would appreciate it.btw it was in a jar with alot of 1840's and other 1800 coins so no it wasn't just this coin

1795 obv.jpg

1795 rev..jpg

here i've been trying to find someone that knows these coins..i've had this for around ten years. i was tearing a house down on a ranch that was founded in 1847 it was the first ranch in Texas to have barb wire anyways  i was told the obverse is BB-52 and they used a BB-51 on the reverse if anyone could shine some light on it i would appreciate it.btw it was in a jar with alot of 1840's and other 1800 coins so no it wasn't just this coin. i have inspected the reed letterings and they are sharp straight down and not on any angle.

On 1/15/2024 at 1:50 AM, Midwest Dozer said:

here i've been trying to find someone that knows these coins..i've had this for around ten years. i was tearing a house down on a ranch that was founded in 1847 it was the first ranch in Texas to have barb wire anyways  i was told the obverse is BB-52 and they used a BB-51 on the reverse if anyone could shine some light on it i would appreciate it.btw it was in a jar with alot of 1840's and other 1800 coins so no it wasn't just this coin

1795 obv.jpg

1795 rev..jpg

Looks like a counterfeit to me. 

@Midwest Dozer--Welcome to the NGC chat board.

When you have a question about a coin, please post it as a new topic with an appropriate title instead of on someone else's topic. It may receive better attention and will be easier to find by others searching the forum.

Your purported 1795 Draped Bust dollar is a counterfeit, as are many such pieces posted here. Compare its details, such as the eagle's feathers, the leaves, and Liberty's hair to the photos of genuine coins of the BB-51 (B-14) and BB-52 (B-15) varieties at Early Dollars (1794-1804) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).   

The eyes and face of the obverse match no known examples as well as some details in the hair. The reverse matches no known example and is incorrect in design. Your dollar coin is a counterfeit. There are more fakes of these coins than there are real ones.

Edited by powermad5000

On 1/15/2024 at 8:35 PM, Midwest Dozer said:

i posted it here cause it said todays coin finds. and thats for the info on it never quite knew it was in a jar like i said. thanks for the input

It's ok Dozer you found out it was a fake. Someone was helped today, that works for me.

Edited by J P M