• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1897S barber dime some damage should I keep it or sell it
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Your dime looks nicer than most other impaired coins of similar grade. It's not valuable enough to have graded and put into a plastic slab, but you might be able to get $50+ from a date/mint Barber dime collector. Might be a nice ebay coin.

With over a million minted, this is not really a key date as would be a 1901 S or an 1895 O or an 1897 O. While this one does get higher premium along with higher grade, imho with the aggressive cleaning it had on both sides with numerous and obvious hairlines as well as the gouge across the nose, rim ding on the reverse and the spots of environmental damage on the obverse, I would say its eye appeal as it remains and with its impairments would bring this coin to grade as AU details and maybe around $100 in value. Because the impairments and environmental spots, a dealer would give you less for it. I think with its mintage you would be able to find an unimpaired example with the similar details for reasonable cost.