• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are some of the Seven Questions you feel you can never get a straight answer to on the Forum?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

Fifty years ago, the comedian George Carlin performed a memorable skit entitled:  "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television."  It was a big hit.  Taking my cue from him, I present the above topic.  Kindly note that your comment (question) is subject to Moderation and, if I may, I should like to request members refrain from embarrassing the OP by inquiring as to how he managed to get back on the Forum after being banned permanently, more than once.  🤣

My question is straightforward.  A number of members offered their opinion as to JA's motive for establishing CAC.  I categorically reject their collective conjecture presented as The Truth, as so much hooey.

Accordingly, my question, phrased loosely is: What was JA's primary objective in establishing Certified Acceptance Corporation (CAC)?

You may, of course, present your own questions.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die-polishing.

The definition and appearance of rub/wear/friction.  Debated on multiple forums over multiple years.

The tell-tale sign appears to be discolaration on high points of devices.  But some people insist that could be the result of a poor strike (among other possibilities, though the most likely/cited) -- metal not flowing into the high-point areas of the die -- and some very sharp, savvy veterans disagree on whether (for a particular series) it's possible to DEFINITIVELY tell if a coin has circulated (AU) or if it is still uncirculated (MS).

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Seven? Let's see...

1. Has anyone ever gotten a "classic dryer coin" from a dryer?

2. Has anyone ever owned or even seen a complete 1964 SMS?

3. Why do people insist on calling certain half dollars 1964 SMS coins when no 1964 Special Mint Sets were ever sold or produced?

well, there is a start

I have a question that I would like answered. Why in NGC's Coin Explorer are there photos of coins that are less than "the best"? Take a look at the 1877 S Trade Dollar they have pictured. It doesn't even look uncirculated, yet in the census, they graded 6 of them at MS 66 which I am sure look much better than the one currently in Explorer. And if you look around in there a little bit, you will find others in other series and you might even have some in your own collection that are better than the ones they used in the photos. Wouldn't for a reference such as Coin Explorer, that you would want to have images of the best examples possible of each coin to show someone looking what their coin should really look like?

If you go to the Top Coin Collectors page, click the last column header twice so that the highest Avg Score comes to the top, and why do we not hear the Lost in Space robot say 'It does not compute.' for the Top Avg Score listing?

On 1/13/2024 at 10:53 AM, Moxie15 said:

Seven? Let's see...

1. Has anyone ever gotten a "classic dryer coin" from a dryer?

2. Has anyone ever owned or even seen a complete 1964 SMS?

3. Why do people insist on calling certain half dollars 1964 SMS coins when no 1964 Special Mint Sets were ever sold or produced?

well, there is a start

I never owned a classic dryer. 
1964 SMS is a loose description, not a mint product, as was the case in ‘65-‘67. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 1/14/2024 at 5:05 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Here's another:  While certification is not a requirement for a coin to be sold at auction, would it improve its chances at realizing a higher gavel price if it were?

NONE of these are imponderable questions, UNLESS one limits oneself to a particular type of audience, e.g. an internet defendant audience. If one is limited thusly, a good many questions can remain unanswered for eons. As just a reminder, I am now a mere fortnight from my numismatic trip to Berlin, Germany. I have found that my ability to use a keyboard has not, somehow, inhibited my ability to use airplanes. Amazing, huh?

Edited by VKurtB

On 1/14/2024 at 5:42 PM, VKurtB said:

I never owned a classic dryer. 
1964 SMS is a loose description, not a mint product, as was the case in ‘65-‘67. 

...GF has a "classic dryer" its the St Gaudens UHR model...

(2) yes 3 of...

(3) sold no, produced yes...

On 1/14/2024 at 5:57 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Here's one, prompted by one member's desire to unilaterally condemn a thread as failing to meet his standard of excellence to the point of suggesting it be eradicated it in its entirety.

Q:  What are the various success and failure rates of cross-over requests for the respective TPGS?

...answered before...more waste of time n space....

I am just beginning to realize I made a numismatic mistake.  When we were wrestling our dead dryer of 25 years service out of the laundry room a perfect dryer rubbed quarter fell out of the thing.  I put it in my cat bank instead of a 2x2.  My bad.  James

the only unanswered question I have is: "why is it that when someone posts a coin with some overdate, clash mark, or other neat feature I can never see it?"  

On 1/14/2024 at 2:54 AM, powermad5000 said:

I have a question that I would like answered. Why in NGC's Coin Explorer are there photos of coins that are less than "the best"? Take a look at the 1877 S Trade Dollar they have pictured. It doesn't even look uncirculated, yet in the census, they graded 6 of them at MS 66 which I am sure look much better than the one currently in Explorer. And if you look around in there a little bit, you will find others in other series and you might even have some in your own collection that are better than the ones they used in the photos. Wouldn't for a reference such as Coin Explorer, that you would want to have images of the best examples possible of each coin to show someone looking what their coin should really look like?

The coins shown at the bottom of the explorer page are the photos used in registry sets, that is why those photos are of varying quality and not always the best or highest graded examples.   Remember that NGC for many years only took the low res slab shots, the better resolution PhotoVision photos are relatively new are only taken if requested.   And then only provided to the submitter of that coin unlike PCGS which takes high resolution photos of just about every coin.  Also in the past NGC has not kept a database; at least not one that the general public can see; of photos of the very best of each series of coins to be able to use at the top of each explorer page.   As a submitter if you request PhotoVision photos you only have 30 days to download those photos before they are wiped from the servers.

On 1/14/2024 at 8:00 AM, zadok said:

...is there a way to totally delete an entire thread, ones that serve no beneficial purpose n just clutter up the menu?...if not why not?...it would be most helpful....

Agreed.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 1/15/2024 at 10:07 AM, Henri Charriere said:

One more nattering nabob of negativism.  Seven-year itch... I would like to suggest you acquaint yourself with Strunk and White, post a coin and consider introducing a topic. You're down to one follower, but hope springs eternal.

...followers not a priority n meaningless...i post very very few coins for very very good reasons...i have posted a couple over the years, hopefully long forgotten by now, ditto topics...S&W irrelevant, style of no importance to me...style is usually associated with buffoonery n hacks of which this forum has an excess of...dont come to a wit fight half prepared.... 

On 1/14/2024 at 9:00 AM, zadok said:

...is there a way to totally delete an entire thread, ones that serve no beneficial purpose n just clutter up the menu?...if not why not?...it would be most helpful....

I am not 100% but I think only the OP would be able to delete an entire thread. And maybe not even then. Maybe only the mods can. The reason for it would be that in the running of a chat board, if anyone was allowed to delete any thread they wanted, the board would probably end up mostly empty. What if you started a thread and I didn't like something you said in it, so I just decide to delete your whole thread because I didn't like something you said in it? Do you see how that could make the entire forum devolve into chaos?

On 1/14/2024 at 6:05 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Here's another:  While certification is not a requirement for a coin to be sold at auction, would it improve its chances at realizing a higher gavel price if it were?

Certification is required at GC and I think at Heritage also. GC does not sell raw coins.

On 1/15/2024 at 9:19 AM, Coinbuf said:

The coins shown at the bottom of the explorer page are the photos used in registry sets, that is why those photos are of varying quality and not always the best or highest graded examples.   Remember that NGC for many years only took the low res slab shots, the better resolution PhotoVision photos are relatively new are only taken if requested.   And then only provided to the submitter of that coin unlike PCGS which takes high resolution photos of just about every coin.  Also in the past NGC has not kept a database; at least not one that the general public can see; of photos of the very best of each series of coins to be able to use at the top of each explorer page.   As a submitter if you request PhotoVision photos you only have 30 days to download those photos before they are wiped from the servers.

Then NGC should read what we have posted here and do something about it. :baiting:

On 1/15/2024 at 12:12 PM, powermad5000 said:

Then NGC should read what we have posted here and do something about it. :baiting:

Yeah, companies owned by private equity firms have a perfect record for pleasing their customers; yup, yup, yup. /eye roll

On 1/15/2024 at 1:06 PM, powermad5000 said:

I am not 100% but I think only the OP would be able to delete an entire thread. And maybe not even then. Maybe only the mods can. The reason for it would be that in the running of a chat board, if anyone was allowed to delete any thread they wanted, the board would probably end up mostly empty. What if you started a thread and I didn't like something you said in it, so I just decide to delete your whole thread because I didn't like something you said in it? Do you see how that could make the entire forum devolve into chaos?

...no i didnt mean delete a thread from where everyone else cant see it, i meant why cant they make it where u can delete from ur own presentation so u dont have to access it to get it off ur screen in bold print, so u can just relegate it to the trash bin...get it out of the way, similar to how u can ignore someone's inputs...we dont want to step on someone's 1st amendment rights, unless its to exercise ur own 2nd amendment rights....

On 1/15/2024 at 12:34 PM, zadok said:

...no i didnt mean delete a thread from where everyone else cant see it, i meant why cant they make it where u can delete from ur own presentation so u dont have to access it to get it off ur screen in bold print, so u can just relegate it to the trash bin...get it out of the way, similar to how u can ignore someone's inputs...we dont want to step on someone's 1st amendment rights, unless its to exercise ur own 2nd amendment rights....

Thank you. Much more specific. I do agree that maybe having filters would help. I would like a filter that allows threads that are older than a date I set to drop off. An archive where I wanted to save a thread would be useful too. And sounds like you could use a little trash can for the threads you can access in your own profile much like deleting old messages in your inbox. Once again, maybe the architect should read this :baiting:

On 1/13/2024 at 10:53 AM, Moxie15 said:

a "classic dryer coin" from a dryer?

If a car is considered an antique (at least by Illinois standards) after it is 25 years old, I wonder if my dryer currently qualifies as a classic dryer? 

I got it new in 1996 so it is now 28 years old. Maybe I need two more years to make it 30 and then it will qualify as a classic. xD

I will say, I got both the washer and dryer as a pair new in 1996 and both are still running like champs. All I will say is they are both Kenmore.

But I digress, back to questions about coinage.

Would it behoove for someone to catalog counterfeit coins and make a photo book of them so people could look up their Flowing Hair dollars and Morgans and other coins in it to see if theirs is a known fake? It might reduce some of the posts titled "Is this real or fake?".

On 1/15/2024 at 1:34 PM, zadok said:

From the gist of what I've read, like Oldhoop you refuse to "ignore," change your seat on a train or bus, scroll down, turn the page or switch topics, etc. Tell ya what I'll do, hide my posts, save for the first one (indestructible) and this, the last one,.🐓 

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die-polishing.

On 1/15/2024 at 4:08 PM, Henri Charriere said:

From the gist of what I've read, like Oldhoop you refuse to "ignore," change your seat on a train or bus, scroll down, turn the page or switch topics, etc. Tell ya what I'll do, hide my posts, save for the first one (indestructible) and this, the last one,.🐓 

...if only....

Having only 14 coins in my Puzzle Box Gold collection allows for critical testing on this website.  Here is an interesting peculiarity that I uncovered today.

If you are logged in and go to the Registry side of things, and you have a Registry Set, you'll see at the top left a blue banner showing your Points and Rank.

Your Points can be tallied individually by adding together all of your 'My Competitive Coins' and the total will match the 'Points' total.

But here is the peculiarity:  Where do these point values come from?

The knee-jerk answer would be that they come from the NGC Coin Explorer because when you look there you can find SCORES vs. Grade.

Notice that NGC doesn't describe things as Points there… they're SCORES.

So, I tested how Points and SCORES compared for every one of my coins.

Coin Type                     Coin Explorer NGC       My Competitive Coins          Delta
                                               REGISTRY SCORE                 Points                 (Comp - Explor)

1834 $5 Crosslet 4 AU 58                   2,190                          5,818                          3,628               
1839 $2.5 MS 61                                 2,233                          7,077                          4,844
1849 D $1 AU 58+                               3,576                          3,576                             0
1854 O $3 MS 61                                9,588                           9,588                             0
1855 C $1 AU 55                                 5,515                           5,515                            0
1858 S $2.5 AU 58 CAC                       990                            2,985                         1,995
1862 $1 MS 64 CAC                           1,658                           2,033                           375
1876 CC $20 MS 60                            5,702                          6,753                          1,051
1881 CC $10 AU 53                            2,960                           2,960                             0
1891 CC $5 AU 58 CAC                       507                            2,401                          1,894
1908 D MOTTO $20 MS 65                 3,817                          7,960                          4,143
1914 D $5 MS 64+ CAC                      4,606                          4,606                              0
1925 D $2.5 MS 65+ CAC                   3,444                          3,444                              0
1932 $10 MS 64+ CAC                        2,355                          2,355                              0

Now, in the Top Coin Collectors section, NGC states:

NGC Registry participants receive an overall ranking based on the total score of all coins registered in their competitive sets. Coins entered in multiple sets are counted only once. (If a coin has received different point scores, the highest score is counted.) Use the filter below to see rankings for all coins, US coins or world coins.

This statement is somewhat bewildering.  Look at the disparity for some of the individual coins.  Over two times higher for some of the Competitive Coins compared to the Coin Explorer SCORES.  Very puzzling.

(I may be on double- or perhaps triple-secret probation, but that will not stop me from thanking you for the courtesy of providing me with your analysis and opinion regarding the possible cross-grading migration of my west coast set to the east.)

To the matter at hand, like you, I am flummoxed by "suggestions" imploring me to enhance my standing by the refrain elsewhere to buy, Buy, and BUY more and more coins to fill more, More, and MORE sets completely divorced from my primary - and sole area of interest.

I could offer an explanation of the seemingly classified system adopted here, but the last time I attempted the same for our host's competitor, I was roundly condemned and ordered by a member here to stop "bashing" the TPGS over there.  On another thread here recently, I was dismissed as an [Expletive deleted] incapable of understanding the supposed inexplicable intricacies of the variables involved in arriving at Set Registry "ratings," which are based on coins which are certified by that "service" as currently appearing on its certified census.  As there is nothing more embarrassing than having one's broken leg broken again by a Pallett-wielding Man, and still in the throes of post-Covid miasma, I let the matter drop. Incidentally, conducting an excavation of the former # 1-ranked F20F GR Registrant in CA., I inadvertently discovered that a reason was provided as to when and why he was dethroned. Parenthetically, in a brief note dated 12/27/2022, it read, "other set published, Rooster Roster." You've heard of buyer's remorse and survivor's guilt. I experienced a profound sadness. This was the 2d time he was dethroned. Only 2.214 set rating points separate us and only 1.407 such points separate me from the current highest possible set rating.  I understand the system used elsewhere. I would have to spend some time trying to understand the system used here. Hopefully, a Registrant here with a good working knowledge of scores and points will weigh in.  🐓