• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has everyone seen a 1993 penny like rhis
1 1

9 posts in this topic

If you are talking about the appearance, it looks like someone has attempted to clean it, or the surfaces have been messed with some other way. If you're referring to something else, please specify.

As already noted if your concern is the color and texture of the coin it has been cleaned and the original mint luster stripped off.   This was already a coin of little collector value, but it now has no collector value.   If there is something else you are wondering about please be more specific as we do not read minds.;)

A damaged cent? Sure.

Looks like someone cleaned this badly and practically took off all of the copper plating. Seems like it is almost down to the zinc core.

I suggest you take a look at this coin on NGC's CoinExplorer to see what it is supposed to look like.

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/united-states/cents/lincoln-cents-memorial-reverse-1959-2008/64055/1993-d-1c-ms/?des=ms-rb

Additionally, I think the pictured coin would only be an MS 65 or maybe an MS 66. On the pictured coin, the columns are not detailed enough, the plating has bubbles, the beard strike is a little weak to me, and the steps on the memorial kind of blend together and are not separate. It also has a spot of environmental corrosion on the reverse. However, in the non cropped photos provided here, I still don't see the OP's coin getting beyond a details grade and certainly not UNC.

Edited by powermad5000