• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999 MULE DIE CLASH? OPINONS PLEASE....
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Please show a closeup of the Mule Clash. The area where the clash is supposed to be    
is cut off of your photo. Also orient your photo properly, it is upside down.

Even thought the OP has managed to conveniently crop out some of the area where the clash is located there is still enough of the coin visible to make a determination. The OP's picture is terrible and extremely pixelated but I'm not seeing anything that would indicate this is a mule die clash. If better, clearer, images are provided I'll take another look, until then it's a no for me.

image.thumb.jpeg.6221a0bb900c77922470f1165130ed72.jpeg

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Clarification

Does the OP even know what a mule is, or what a die clash is? I can see no evidence he does.

Mules don't commonly die clashed together; they are sterile. Donkeys are better at clashing while horsing around.

As I stated in the other post from this OP, I think he is hung up on what a mule really is from this and other posts.

A "mule die clash" would result from a die being struck against a die other than the one that would ordinarily be paired with that die to produce coins.  See  https://www.error-ref.com/?s=mule+clash. It would be extremely unlikely for mint workers to accidently place dies intended for different coins in the same press, operate the press without a planchet being fed into it, and then replace one of the two damaged dies with the correct die and strike coins that show clash marks on the side struck from the remaining damaged die.  Most of the few mule die clashes known to exist on U.S. coins date from the nineteenth century and include, most notably, varieties of 1857 Flying Eagle cents respectively showing traces of clash marks from a Liberty Seated quarter reverse, a Liberty Seated half dollar obverse, and a double eagle obverse.  There is also an 1857 Liberty Seated quarter variety showing clash marks from a Flying Eagle cent. These nineteenth century pieces are believed to have resulted from misconduct by mint employees. 

The so-called 1999 cent mule die clash shows traces of lettering ("of AMERIC") from another Memorial cent reverse adjacent to the intended lettering and is discussed in the previously linked extract from error-ref.com. The authors note that it is not clear that this clash resulted from two reverse dies being mounted in a press at the same time. The photos posted by the OP do not show such traces of lettering, which may be seen on the photo posted by @Fenntucky Mike and in the following photo from error-ref.com:

image.png.83103305018b97ca1fc106f156c562ad.png