• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What a less than honest listing on eBay looks like.
1 1

6 posts in this topic

As the least informed member of this Forum is painfully aware, I am in [desperate] need of a 1913 French 20-franc gold rooster.  But not just any rooster.  Only one that has been certified MS-67.  Presently featured on eBay is an example of the obverse of a purported raw1913 which I peg as a shoo-in for the exalted high-tier slot.  Only problem is, while the seller claims the image posted front-and-center is not a stock photo, I am beginning to have my doubts which I have taken the liberty of reporting to eBay.

I cannot allege fraud but I can describe behavior that is dishonest and deceptive.  Briefly, while the primary photo of the coin's obverse is crystal clear, the five accompanying photos, all of the reverse -- is reduced in size, its features obscured by a near-transluscent plastic flip.  I politely inquired as to why the reverse could not be similarly photographed unobstructed by a holder.  For the next two days, I was assured [in carefully-worded language meant to assuage the concerns of eBay reviewers] that another photo would be put up shortly. Some 48 hours later one was of the purported reverse -- "encased" in hard plastic.  It is virtually impossible to discern surface topography which would enable a viewer to determine whether the coin was worthy of an MS-67 assessment.  It is fairly clear to me that the seller is hoping to snare an uninquisitive buyer. Seller's reviewer rating: 91.7%  Note:  Last I checked, NGC had certified only ONE such coin.  If you, gentle reader and fellow hobbyist, feel I overstepped my bounds, I will surrender forthwith my Rising Star status and submit my resignation as a member, again.

A rating of only 91.7% is considered a low rating and a seller I would avoid.   
Normally a rating of 98% or higher is considered  a good rating. A top rated seller usually always supplies    
clear photos of both sides whereas the lower rated are usually, as you put it, dishonest and deceptive.   
There is no reason to not supply a clear photo of the reverse unless the seller is hiding something.

I went looking for that sale. I found it. Below that sale is another listing for a ms 64 1913. The one  photo you are concerned about appears to be lifted from that 64 sale. Quite possibly. I may be wrong but take a look . The fifth one. 

Edited by Dave1384

Desperate searches encourage deception.