• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Quarter Double Stamped Olive Branch
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone!  I hope my inquiry finds you well. Has anyone else found doubled dies like this 1971 Washington quarter? 

doubledolivebranchquarter1971founddate1.7_24.thumb.jpg.e258365e1d15b30952d3db75b981ebf3.jpg

I've examined enough doubled dies to be fairly confident that's what this is. 

doubledolivebranchquarter1971.thumb.jpg.647b80ad1aba5b80b69ac1aad8fe73f9.jpg

If I were to list it via an Ebay auction as a rare variety quarter, what would you start the bidding at if you were in my position?   

1971quarterdoublestampedolivebranchmarking.thumb.jpg.963cf7a0e8ff3d5a0922bec55d001a17.jpg

I know it's not the most appealing specimen, but surely still an interesting one to chat about.   Thank you for your time and attention!

Best Regards, markedmoney.tech

1971 quarter double stamped olive branch obverse.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

I don't think that your 1971 quarter exhibits a doubled die reverse. The image below the branch, though interesting, is too shallow and localized. I also note shallow, shelf-like doubling on some of the lettering, which is likely either strike doubling or doubling that originated in the master hub that was used to make some 1971 quarter reverse dies. It doesn't match any variety listed on NGC VarietyPlus, doubleddie.com, or Variety Vista. See Washington Quarters (1932-1998) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com),   https://www.doubleddie.com/2019558.html,  http://www.varietyvista.com/09b WQ Vol 2/DDRs 1971.htm for known varieties.  See also Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com).    

Posted (edited)

I'm curious as to what makes you say it isn't when it very well could be one. It is very obviously raised and rounded,not flattened. The doubling also resembles that on the South Dakota DDR or even the 2012 Denali quarter.

Granted the doubling on those coins is towards the middle of the coin, it's still obvious that it's not impossible to show up on other areas of a coin.   I'd like to know if anyone has found something similar in their own collections, that they may have otherwise overlooked because they only focused on the doubled dies that had already been listed.  I've visited all the sites listed above already.   I've also made discoveries on coins, which I kept and stored before they were listed on those sites because I knew what I'd found then too.   

Edited by markedmoneytech

On 1/9/2024 at 8:44 AM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

I don't think that your 1971 quarter exhibits a doubled die reverse. The image below the branch, though interesting, is too shallow and localized. I also note shallow, shelf-like doubling on some of the lettering, which is likely either strike doubling or doubling that originated in the master hub that was used to make some 1971 quarter reverse dies. It doesn't match any variety listed on NGC VarietyPlus, doubleddie.com, or Variety Vista. See Washington Quarters (1932-1998) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com),   https://www.doubleddie.com/2019558.html,  http://www.varietyvista.com/09b WQ Vol 2/DDRs 1971.htm for known varieties.  See also Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com).    

Thank you for your kind welcome.  I disagree that it's too shallow and localized.  It's on a portion of the stem, just like the doubling behind the sheep's neck on the Denali quarter. 

On 1/9/2024 at 11:21 AM, markedmoneytech said:

Let's agree to disagree.  It's a never before noticed DDR. 

If you believe it is a DDR. Send it in to a TPG for certification. It would sell at a higher price if certified by an independent grading organization.

Good luck.

In an effort to break the monotony of intellectual discourse, I have never found myself to be that guy that points out that another guys' "thingy" is kinda small, but is this alleged "thingy" large enough to be seen through a 10x view or less?  And, is it possible that being a Master Hub Doubling issue affecting nearly 4 billion quarters, this "thingy" could be an aspect of that?

On 1/9/2024 at 9:44 AM, Sandon said:

It doesn't match any variety listed on NGC VarietyPlus, doubleddie.com, or Variety Vista.    

On 1/9/2024 at 7:21 AM, markedmoneytech said:

If I were to list it via an Ebay auction as a rare variety quarter, what would you start the bidding at if you were in my position? 

Unfortunately even if that is a true doubled die it wouldn't be worth much at all without matching a previously attributed variety, which it does not as Sandon noted, and it is relatively minor.

Sites like Etsy/eBay are full of coins with borderline worthless machine doubling held out as doubled dies without any attribution, where many buyers simply can't tell the difference.  And even if attributed, selling it raw would likely not go for very much from looking at recent completed listings for similar items with minor attributed doubling.

If you truly believe it's a legit doubled die you may want to submit it to CONECA as noted.  But I think that would be more for personal satisfaction of having found a previously unknown variety for a 1971 quarter, however unlikely, as that would probably not increase the value to anything really worth selling or submitting to a TPG if eventually recognized as it is so minor.

Edited by EagleRJO

I have a simple rule of thumb when it comes to "doubled-die".coins, which will undoubtedly infuriate some members:

Unlike the famed 1955 Lincoln cent which needs no explanation or directions or arrows, if it does not fully involve the obverse or reverse, or occupy a significant slice of the proverbial pie, or worse, if it has to be pointed out to me, sorry, now we're splitting hairs.  Ideally, you should be able to hand a disinterested party and ask them if they see anything odd. If you have to provide me with a road map, you've lost me.  This, of course, does not apply to related phenomena and the damage which results therefrom. If you feel constrained to tell me what it is I am supposed to see, we're off to a bad start. Now, if you hand me a '78 Morgan dollar, without being told I will instinctively count the tail feathers. Likewise, if you show me an 1863 Indian Head cent, I will note the color is off and the planchet used was thicker than usual.  The Red Book is your friend and an indispensable guide. Familiarize yourself with its contents and keep it close at hand. It will become the keystone of your numismatic library. Good luck in your hunting!