• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PCGS Modern nickel grades
1 1

27 posts in this topic

"Full Steps" is a modifier -- and added bit of information --- It is not part of the actual "grade" or "condition" of the coin. Therefore the coin's grade is "PR70DCAM." If it has "full steps" that is a different matter and might add to the value, but not the grade.

Edited by RWB

On 1/7/2024 at 9:33 AM, edhalbrook said:

If a modern nickel was graded by PCGS and it graded as a PR70DCAM would that automatically mean full steps? What could bring down the grade to a PR69DCAM? 

Proof coins are not given the strike qualifiers like full steps, full bands, or full bell lines because proof coins are specially struck and are expected to show all full details just as the design was drawn.   Proof coins that are lacking a full and complete strike could be graded lower due to a weak strike, but that is not a given.   Most modern proof coins are given a lesser grade due to slight imperfections, hairlines, milk spots, or minor dings that happen during the handling/packaging of those coins after they are struck.

There is also the dartboard theory of grading. ;)

Modern proofs (after 1964) are common in PF69 and PF70 (and busting at the gills in PF66 and above).  The run-of-the-mill proof set will grade ~PF65, so buying individual coins at this grade is truly buying plastic.  Nothing is wrong with buying a slab to match your collection, but know that most raw coins will be in this approximate grade.  

That said, there is usually a noticeable difference b/w a MS69-70 and a MS65.  @Coinbuf gave a good example listing some of the visual defects you can expect at the MS65 level.  However, high populations will make these coins very affordable if you find a nice one.  

I cannot tell the difference between a nice PF69 and PF70 at all - they both look perfect to me.  If I were buying modern proofs, I would avoid the premium on PF70 and buy the 69's where I can't tell the difference..

On 1/7/2024 at 10:53 AM, edhalbrook said:

What is PF65 vs PF70? 

Two grading opinions separated by 5 grade points. :bigsmile:

On 1/7/2024 at 2:39 PM, edhalbrook said:

But if I want all my coins to be graded the same? PR70DCAM. I was trying to stay in the limit of about $10. 

I have been working on my NGC registry set for a while now. I do find some good deals on nickels. Ten dollars will not go very far for a PR70 DCAM but you may be able to get a nice 68 or 69.   

On 1/7/2024 at 3:01 PM, J P M said:

I have been working on my NGC registry set for a while now. I do find some good deals on nickels. Ten dollars will not go very far for a PR70 DCAM but you may be able to get a nice 68 or 69.   

I got two so far about $10 $11.75 each. 95s and 98s. Being patient. There is just so many up for auction. 

On 1/7/2024 at 2:39 PM, edhalbrook said:

But if I want all my coins to be graded the same? PR70DCAM. I was trying to stay in the limit of about $10. 

OK  edhalbrook, These came in today  I did get lucky on these two coins. I paid $3 each for these. I think it is cool they must have been graded around the same time. Look at the ID numbers

1975 CAM.jpg

1975 CAM Reverse.jpg

1991 U CAM.jpg

1991 U CAM Reverse.jpg

I am working on the 300-coin full set and proofs. JP.s Nickels #35 in the NGC registry

Edited by J P M

On 1/8/2024 at 6:58 PM, J P M said:

OK  edhalbrook, These came in today  I did get lucky on these two coins. I paid $3 each for these. I think it is cool they must have been graded around the same time. Look at the ID numbers

1975 CAM.jpg

1975 CAM Reverse.jpg

1991 U CAM.jpg

1991 U CAM Reverse.jpg

Appears they were part of the same submission! Very cool indeed!!

On 1/8/2024 at 10:15 PM, edhalbrook said:

Jeez you got most of them. The ones you are missing do you also have them ungraded? What's the word that should be used? Raw? 

Yes, the set is only just over half of them. I also have the full set of P and D mint circulated coins in coin folders. but not proofs, SMS + SP and not the 38,39, and 40 mule coins.

Edited by J P M

where do I find the 1942 d silver in BU at a decent price not certified? I got the books BU and also a circulated set that I need a bunch still. Roll hunting for that one. 

What are mule coins? The ones with a different reverse? I don't get that one. Where is the best place to read about that? 

On 1/9/2024 at 8:09 AM, edhalbrook said:

where do I find the 1942 d silver in BU at a decent price not certified? I

The 1942-D was not made in the wartime composition (35% silver), only in the regular copper nickel alloy. (Check your "Redbook".)  It's considered a somewhat better date but should be available from coin dealers.

On 1/8/2024 at 4:53 PM, edhalbrook said:

I don't see any pf70's in the red book

I'm not really sure what your point is, the Sheldon scale goes from 1 to 70 for both MS and proof. 

On 1/9/2024 at 8:09 AM, edhalbrook said:

where do I find the 1942 d silver in BU at a decent price not certified? I got the books BU and also a circulated set that I need a bunch still. Roll hunting for that one. 

What are mule coins? The ones with a different reverse? I don't get that one. Where is the best place to read about that? 

You will be searching a long time for a nice 42 D roll hunting. It would be better to just to get one at a dealer or online. A mule coin is when the reverse die was not the intended die to match the obverse die.  

On 1/9/2024 at 9:08 AM, Sandon said:

The 1942-D was not made in the wartime composition (35% silver), only in the regular copper nickel alloy. (Check your "Redbook".)  It's considered a somewhat better date but should be available from coin dealers.

If you see what Sandon posted, you will not find a 1942 D silver nickel. 

On 1/9/2024 at 6:08 AM, Sandon said:

Thanks so much. LOL Been looking for the silver one for months. No wonder I can't find it. That's going to make it lots easier to finish my set. There are two P's though one don't have a p on it. One silver and one not. I had that confused with the d coin. God how stupid. I have that coin in my circulated book but need a bu for that book. 

On 1/10/2024 at 4:27 PM, J P M said:

If you see what Sandon posted, you will not find a 1942 D silver nickel. 

I feel kind of dumb about that one.

If you get a registry going of graded coins you put your own photo of the coin in there? I got 3 more nickels coming. 

On 1/11/2024 at 9:23 PM, edhalbrook said:

I feel kind of dumb about that one.

If you get a registry going of graded coins you put your own photo of the coin in there? I got 3 more nickels coming. 

Yes you can put in your own photo or the NGC graders photo.