• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why the pricing disparity ? Same coin, same dealer, same grade.
1 1

5 posts in this topic

It appears to me that the overall acceptance to the NGCX grading system is not catching on. Looks to me that the Sheldon scale is the way to go.

IMG_5772.jpeg

IMG_5773.jpeg

NGCX coins cannot be used in the NGC registry, it will be difficult for buyers to want to buy coins if using them in a registry is a part of the reason to buy.   Also there is still time on both of those auctions, it is possible that the ending prices will be closer.

🐓 There are too many variables to consider here.  The dealer is not a consideration.  An "auction," then in progress, is.  Same coin, same grade may be subject to conjecture. Would anyone call a race that has only reached the clubhouse turn?  What about packaging?  Is it not inherently unfair to compare a slab that is all gussied up with interesting and attractive graphics with one that isn't?  Can one extrapolate success or failure from any experimental, trial initiative still in its infancy?  For the most part, grading scales overseas embrace eight conditions + proofs. This race (likely over by now) represents but a drop in the ocean of moderns. Is it a portent of the future?  "The streets is watching," and so are NGC personnel. I have no opinion on the matter.

On 1/6/2024 at 8:15 PM, Just Bob said:

Part of the price disparity is probably because the top (NGC) coin is silver, and the bottom (NGCX) is clad.

I would imagine that would be the most significant reason for the disparity.