• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a mint error?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a newbie but I have looked for anything like this error and have not found anything.  Could someone tell if this is a mint error or post mint damage?  Thanks in advance.  

20231212_093816_resized (1).jpg

20231212_093816_resized.jpg

20231212_093816.jpg

20231212_095612_resized (1).jpg

20231212_095612_resized (3).jpg

20231212_095612_resized (2).jpg

20231212_095612_resized (4).jpg

Welcome to the forum, hard to say for sure what happened to this coin, but it for sure didn't leave the mint in that condition.   Aside from the chunks missing is spots it may have been subjected to a mild acid like muriatic pool acid or some other chemical.    Damage can happen a million different ways; errors only happen at the time the coin is struck.

On 1/5/2024 at 12:01 PM, Coinbuf said:

Welcome to the forum, hard to say for sure what happened to this coin, but it for sure didn't leave the mint in that condition.   Aside from the chunks missing is spots it may have been subjected to a mild acid like muriatic pool acid or some other chemical.    Damage can happen a million different ways; errors only happen at the time the coin is struck.

Thank you for the welcome.  Also, I appreciate the added point of view of the origin.  The melted look does seem like acid could do that.  It threw me for a loop based on the mint mark itself not melting.  Thanks again for tye input.  

It looks like the zinc is deteriorating under the copper plating. 

On 1/5/2024 at 4:39 PM, Jcon1111 said:

Crazy, right?!?!

No not crazy. Normal, once the zinc is exposed it starts to rot. And yours has been accelerated by some chemical.   

Welcome.  Actually, it's not that crazy at all.  You would be surprised to find out how many people intentionally mutilate coins - acid, heat, drill bits, vise... I think we get these types of questions 3-4x per week.  

We really can't say 100% of "how" the damaged happened.  But, when we see moved metal that occurs in ways that are outside of the minting process, we know its damage and not an error.  Become an expert in the minting process, and you will know the fact from fiction.

I say this every time, but I will again.... starting off collecting with errors is a very rough entry into the hobby.  There is so much to know.  But, real errors are truly hard to find... if you find errors all the time, they are not errors.  You will be better served looking for the nicest coins you can find, learning to grade, and learning the minting process.  Once you have that under your belt... the rest will be much easier in any direction you choose.  Good luck.