• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proof coins question
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I recently inherited a 1976 s proof set (silver)(bicentennial )that is absolutely flawless and I have seen a few outstanding prices on some of the coins. Is it click bait im seeing or if you have a proof 69-70 quarter from that year is it really valuable? Any help is appreciated 

Welcome to the forum. It would be a requirement to see full sized cropped photos of your coin in order to help make a determination on your coin. Another factor is if it is Silver or Clad, then we can determine if it is truly proof or MS grade. A Silver 1976 bicentennial proof 70 is about $80, however at least 70% of new proof coins achieve that score. Look up the details on that coin and weigh it to two decimal places. We’ll wait….

You could post some pictures and we can see. Most of them look very nice but trying to get one to grade out at MS 68 would be tough . I would just leave it in the set.

I have seen a few outstanding prices on some of the coins

When looking at values of coins from sites like eBay make sure they are sold listings and not just asking prices which can be outrageous, and keep in mind there are sometimes anomalies.

NGC has a price guide at the following link which seems to be pretty reasonable in general, and for verification you can look up completed auctions at reputable auction sites like Great Collections and Heritage Auctions.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/

Edited by EagleRJO

Newbie here… not sure why I have to start my conversations like that but feel it is relevant.  Should be a newbie star next to my profile.

Anyway, one thing I’ve learned is you have to keep in Mind the prices for grading.  For me it was $25 for a yearly subscription to NGC then $12/coin I think to have it graded, plus shipping to and from.  Just more you should keep in mind.  I think you may be able to link up with a coin store who has a membership as well to have them graded, don’t quote me on that.  Just have to weight cost of submit vs. potenial outcome.  Hope I helped.

On 1/4/2024 at 5:32 PM, Ricky420 said:

I recently inherited a 1976 s proof set (silver)(bicentennial )that is absolutely flawless and I have seen a few outstanding prices on some of the coins. Is it click bait im seeing or if you have a proof 69-70 quarter from that year is it really valuable? Any help is appreciated 

A PF70 ultra cameo quarter is worth a few hundred to the right buyer, so if you are seeing prices higher than that, it is likely clickbait. i can relate, though. I saw an article this morning that had a title claiming that certain bicentennial quarters were worth $80 million. 

The three-piece bicentennial silver proof sets, of which the mint sold nearly four million units, are generally very high quality, unlike the uncirculated sets. In addition to having one of the sets that I bought from the mint at the time of issue, I own examples of the quarter and half dollar graded PR 69 DCAM by PCGS that I bought in November 2021 to fill registry set slots for all of $16 and $15 respectively. As shown by the photos below, these coins are virtually flawless. Examples graded "70" are not readily distinguishable, even by experienced graders. 

Some of the information provided by @Rob75B11 is incomplete or obsolete, as the "Modern tier" grading fee at NGC applicable to these coins is presently $19 per coin, and your order would also require payment of a $10 processing fee and a $28 return shipping fee, as well as your own cost of shipping the coins to NGC. See NGC Services and Fees | NGC (ngccoin.com).  PCGS fees are similar.  The submission of common, modern coins like these to grading services is usually a waste of money.

1976-Ssilverproofquarterobv..thumb.jpg.a4a39f81b5c60690fa639030733ccb95.jpg

1976-Ssilverproofquarterrev..thumb.jpg.a3ad935f5fc9137ac30136ba7270a8b2.jpg

1976-Ssilverproofhalfdollarobv..thumb.jpg.0dc61e714100fab97d10e2946945e4a1.jpg

1976-Ssilverproofhalfdollarrev..thumb.jpg.9ae22558ad9d847ed203c05fd321604c.jpg

On 1/4/2024 at 11:02 PM, Sandon said:

$19 per coin, and your order would also require payment of a $10 processing fee and a $28 return shipping fee,

Yes, over time, the prospect of sending in modern coins has become less and less sensical, yet the “desire” to do so remains unabated. It’s almost as if it contains a siren’s song that lures beginning collectors onto the rocks of financial losses. Turn away, dear sailors/beginning collectors. Tie yourself to the mast. Avoid ruin. Having a coin slabbed is not a rite of passage, that makes you a real live collector. Luckily, there are such rites, but they involve reading, studying, and attending coin shows to look at actual coins by the hundreds and thousands. But then, I have over 60 years experience at this, and I believe that counts for something. Amazing, huh?