• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need answers and/or opinions on half dollar and dollar
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone so first I found these both in circulation first 2 pictures is 1963 D Franklin half dollar and the other 3 is of a Bic Ike dollar no mint type 2 I think. But on the reverse side there's this black color that looks to me like some error from the mint because it blends with the coin and there's no cut through and looks to be under the lettering. Also there is I don't a little DD on the O of one dollar and the star on the reverse left side is not all there. The Franklin D mint mark looks a little funny to me. Both have full bell lines. Wonder how much these are or could be worth. Estimated grades, if one or both is rare

Thank you. 

IMG_20240104_092628_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240104_092646_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240104_092734_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240104_092744_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240104_092804_HDR.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You will probably get some grief on here for posting two coins in the same thread. In the future, please put each coin as its own thread as the responses when there are two coins in the same thread can be confusing and also cause some of the readers to stop reading or commenting. As for the photos, they are not too bad and other than turning them so they are properly oriented, they are pretty good for seeing what we need to see.

As I am nearing completion of a full set of Franklin Half Dollars in minimum MS 64 FBL, I can tell you that your Franklin half is not even close to having full bell lines. In order to get the designation, except for the crack in the bell, the two sets of lines have to be fully uninterrupted all the way across the bell. I see some flattening and hits in the lines on your Franklin. I would say it was cleaned at some point and circulation wise I would say it is a lower end AU. The 1963 D was the most common of the whole series and had a mintage number of 67,069,292. In the condition it is in, I would say a dealer might only give you about $5-6. If you actually got this in circulation, that is great, though, and really not common to get out of a cash register.

As for your Ike, there is no designation for full bell lines for the bell on the reverse of Eisenhower dollars. It is just a feature of the reverse. You are correct that it is the more common Type 2 reverse as the Type 1 reverse had bold, thick, and squared off lettering and yours has the more "delicate" lettering style. Right off, I noticed the coin has had a rough life and appears to have been abrasively cleaned. The reverse looks to have some dark staining and is not a mint error. I am wondering if more of the reverse had that staining and the rough cleaning was an attempt to remove it. I would think this coin would be reduced to XF details and in its condition would only be worth face value.

Edited by powermad5000

Biased on todays melt value the Franklin half is worth $8.40 and the Ike is worth $1.   No errors no extra value to either coin.