• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The years of ears of Lincoln
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I expect to find nothing when I search thousands of coins, that way I am not as disappointed when I don't find anything and giddy as a schoolgirl when I do. . . or think I do.  There are multiple years of Lincolns that have DDO varieties for the ear.  I have recently found a few that I have questions about.  The 1997p cent is up first.  When comparing my coin to the Variety Plus, Variety Vista, and Wexler, it doesn't exactly match.  I would like to understand what it is that I am seeing.  And, yes, the coin itself is craptastic, no need to state the obvious.  At the bottom of the earlobe, there is what looks to be an additional piece, similar, but not identical to the DDO variety.

c.1997p.O.jpg

c.1997p.R.jpg

To be a recognized DDO, it has to be exact including any markers associated with the variety.   
It looks like what you have is just minor damage from a hit.

I just studied the Variety Plus images and Variety Vista images and what I noticed in them is the "doubled ear" shows this doubling at the same height. What I notice when I look at your coin is that the secondary lobe image seems to be at a lower height and also does not carry the same shape as the original lobe. While the lobe may have taken a hit or two, and while there does appear to be something in the area, I think it is a "mimic" of the doubled ear and is either due to maybe some mechanical doubling or something with the plating of the cent as in the plating having slightly bubbled in the area of the lobe (as the plating over the years of these was notorious for having defects that gives the appearance of doubling).